Grinding dragging stuff coming from rear of JGC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding dragging stuff coming from rear of JGC

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
_TJ
1996 ZJ 

Grinding dragging stuff coming from rear of JGC

We have a '96 JGC... there is a terrible intermittent grinding/scraping/dragging sound coming from the back end somewhere. Just got done doing all the brakes myself but we are SURE there were done correctly. They've been checked and re-checked. It comes from the back, feels like the wheels are dragging on something. It happens most often when we are turning of all things. Strange to me that the process of turning, which is going on up front, would have an effect on something in the back of the vehicle. Sometimes it's really bad, like something back there is binding and scraping. I'm stumped, I've dissassembled the rear brakes down to the hub and nothing looks like it's been rubbing or binding at all. Everything looks fine. Could this be wheel bearings or maybe the ABS pump is screwy.... I'm stumped. It also seems to happen more after long trips.

... Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
K-Pax

i had a prob with grinding noise coming from the rear of my GC while driving straight or turning (didn't matter), but would hear it well while driving on the interstate. turned out my wheel bearings in the rear were bad when i bought it. the bearings ended up breaking apart and traveling along the axles eating them up. ended up buying new rear axles and bearings. had the work done by a reputable mechanic and cost me a little over $400 including parts and labor. hope this isn't your problem though. btw, the axles i got from a junk yard for $300 alone.

Kevin's rig:
94 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I-6 4.0L, Quadra-Trac on demand

2" budget lift
pro-comp steelies
kevin's radiator support bar
JKS quick discos
e-mail me
K-Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
_TJ
1996 ZJ 

Anybody? Thoughts...comments...suggestions?

Anybody else got any ideas on this?
_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.