Grinding and clunking sound in rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding and clunking sound in rear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-05-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
IlIl
1998 ZJ 

Grinding and clunking sound in rear

98 ZJ 4.0 stock except for a 2" BB.

I have a loud grinding and clunking which sounds like its coming from the rear. The sounds seem to happen when coasting between shifts.

At 14 seconds you can hear the clunk and see the RPMs drop fast, it happens when I let off the gas right before it shifts. http://vid.me/bMtV
I think its shifting after the clunk happens? It hangs onto 2nd gear and clunks if I let off the gas when the RPMs are max right before it shift.

Here you can hear the grinding noise. http://vid.me/GLmT
When its grinding like that the Jeep will slow down pretty fast like I'm braking.
The grinding happens when I left off the gas right before it shifts into 2nd.

After it shifts it coast just fine until it gets back to 1st gear and it starts over.

This is my first vehicle but I've done all the work on it myself so far so if there is anything I can try or look at let me know!

Thanks for the help.

IlIl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
IlIl
1998 ZJ 

Bump.
would really like some help!
Unread 06-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
MoparmanNJ
1998 ZJ 

Id look at u joints and pull the rear diff cover.
Unread 06-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I agree with MoparmanNJ on the UJoints. It sounds like they've lost their bearings or something, and are not far from breaking entirely. I don't hear what I'd describe as a "grind" in that video, more like a rattle. Maybe it's the video?

Get under the Jeep and grab the driveshaft and try to wiggle it around. Get to it soon, as when something runs that eccentrically, it might cook your rear pinion bearing in not too long. Check for leakage at the pinion seal on the rear differential. Good luck.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
IlIl
1998 ZJ 

I'll take a look at the U Joint in the morning. I fear the pinion bearing may already be screwed. When driving at high speeds maybe 50mph+ my Jeep howls like a pack of wolves.
Unread 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
IlIl
1998 ZJ 

The driveshaft isn't loose and doesn't have any play. Can a U Joint be bad and not be loose? Its cheap to replace so might do it tomorrow any way.
Unread 06-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
IlIl
1998 ZJ 

Pretty sure the grinding noise is transmission related. I tried adjusting the TV cable and could only seem to make it worse. When its making the noise it'll slow down so much if I try to coast, I always have to have my foot on the gas a bit. This is only when in 2nd or it might even be in 3rd gear if its not downshifting correctly.

I don't think its making its way back to first gear unless I come to a complete stop.

Could it be the shift solenoid or maybe my TV cable is streached?

Need some help!
Unread 06-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Well, the best thing you can do at this point is to pull the transmission pan and check for debris. While you're inside, you can adjust the rear band. You will need an inch-lb torque-wrench, and perhaps the special adapter for the reach. If you don't see debris, that's a good sign. Does the fluid smell burnt? Get new ATF+4 to fill it with after you replace the filter and adjust the bands, etc. You could even replace the pressure solenoid/sensor while you're in there, but it truly might be throwing good money after bad if your tranny is cooked. And don't overtighten the pan bolts. Use your inch-lbs torque wrench for that too.

So, you might want to check that pan and post back if you found anything terrible or encouraging. That's what weekends are for, right? Good luck.
Unread 06-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
IlIl
1998 ZJ 

Did the tranny fluid, new gasket and filter, gonna do my Tcase fluid today. The pan was fine no metal on the magnet or anything floating around in the pan. The pan bolts were loose though and the pan was leaking a bit.

The noise is definitely only when in second gear, its not downshifting back to first unless I come to a complete stop. If i throw it in netural the noise will quite and the jeep wont slow down like I'm braking.

Last edited by IlIl; 06-14-2015 at 01:50 PM..
Unread 06-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Check this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/l...fting-2893081/ , or use the forum's search function for "42re TPS", where you'll find more info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.