I have been having an intermittent problem for the past month or so with my 95 ZJ and the radio/instrument panel lights. I would like some advice for my next steps in troubleshooting/what to check next toward finding a resolution and any experiences with similar problems.
Daily driver, but has been sitting for a week or two at a time not running since July.
- just replaced the headliner (all lights/sun visors work properly) although problem predated headliner replacement
- heater core was replaced 2 years ago
- stock radio was rebuilt 6 ish years ago
- driver side door power windows rewired 1 year ago
- ac/heater control unit was replaced 1-2 years ago, panel unit's lights have never worked.
- the brake lights would not turn off 2 weeks ago after car was turned of/key out of the ignition. This occurred after driving with the dim lights/buzzing. The brake lights now turn off when the car is off.
The clock will dim/flash usually within 2 minutes of startup/driving. This will either be the end of it and return to normal conditions (instrument lights ok, radio ok) or devolve into chaos. The instrument panel lights & clock will dim out almost completely while driving (with or without headlights on). The radio will cut out and then produce a sound one might hear standing front row to the amp tower at a metal concert. It doesn't matter the volume of the radio, the speakers produce a loud buzz regardless. With the radio turned off it has even produced quick buzzes through the speakers. All interior lights, power locks/windows, headlights, wipers, and gauges work fine. The dimmer switch does too when the lights are not acting up.
- Checked battery, terminals were in bad shape. Replaced terminals, ensured continuity with new connections. First startup after new terminals, dim light/buzzing did not occur. Problem returned today.
- Checked #8, 10, and 24 fuses
all are a-ok
- Searched the forum and read 94 ZJ electrical issue
, before I rewire this
, fun and games with alarms and radios
, but to no avail for issues with the radio/dim instrument & clock lights (sans interior lights/wipers/aftermarket sound systems etc)
Sorry if it's a bunch of info, but I tend to err toward too much rather than not enough. I'm all ears as to suggested next steps toward locating the culprit. Thanks.