Greetz from OH-IO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Greetz from OH-IO

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
BBZJ
1996 ZJ 

Greetz from OH-IO

Hey all wanted to drop a note and see if there were any CMH jeepers out there. I'm not a typical enthusiast and not all that knowledgeable but I can make my way around the underbelly of my ZJ.

Brief background: Bought my 96ZJ in 99 as a daily driver, seems that poor maintenance+np249 = bad front axle. Ground to a halt in in 04 on the highway. Swapped out the front axle with an HP30 (free, but wrong gears) and nv242 (from 99XJ i believe) and got it back on the road in 2wd mode only.

Anyway, jeep has been neglected but recently the wifie approved its conversion to something more awesome (I was not specific, sticker shock would kill this deal trust me). I'm thinking the typical lift+tires, but am undecided on what to do with axles. Also a buddy of mine is a professional welder so I was thinking of building front/rear bumpers. That may be beyond my ability though, well see.

Anyway, it looks like this forum is pretty active so looking forward to your response. Thanks.

BBZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
DiodeDynamics
Jeep Lighting Experts
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hello!

Post up some pictures of your ride for our reference

Welcome to the Forum!

Nick C.

Lighting / Acrylic Your Source For Jeep Lighting and Acrylic
We have the LOWEST PRICES around... check us out! > www.diodedynamics.com
DiodeDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Howdy! I'm from Columbus but live up near Cleveland now.
Welcome to the forum.

Go Buckeyes!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Welcome!
What were you thinking of in terms of lift? There is a few thousand dollar difference between a 2” spacer lift and a full long arm kit. What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? What kind of budget are you working under?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
BBZJ
1996 ZJ 

Howdy! I didnt really set a budget aside. I probably wont spend more than 2k over the next year though. That should set some basic idea of my limits

My priority right now is get it back up and running. I used to run it once a week to work, then i got lazy and it sat for some time. Now it wont start, and I'm down to crank position sensor, but pretty sure its not a deeper problem than that.

After that, I have some general maintenance (drive train seals), followed with getting 4x4 back up (front axle is wrong gear). I havnt decided if i'm going to regear the front axle (HP30) to match 3.55 the rear, or regear both to 3.73, or just buy a straight bolt on 3.55. If someone local is around who knows how to gear i promise to have my fridge stocked

At this point I'm only interested in 31"s. I havnt even looked to see how much lift i need, but def not longarms. IDK, maybe 3" skyjacker? http://www.quadratec.com/products/76017_710.htm Again, still havnt done any research here so suggestions welcome.

Here is a pic of my poor neglected jeep:

Unread 08-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Howdy. I'm from Bellefontaine. It's about an hour from Columbus going towards Indiana. Welcome to the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
BBZJ
1996 ZJ 

Awesome, I go through Bellefontaine on my way to Lima (my folks live there).
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Let me know when your gonna go through next time and you can stop by and well talk jeeps. And if your old enough my fridge is always stocked!

Unread 08-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Welcome and I'm about 25 miles SE of downtown Columbus outside of Canal Winchester. All my Jeeps are stock and don't really go off-road.

Also have a 96 4.0 and if it just won't start from sitting are you sure it doesn't just have a bad battery? Read through the couple links in my signature which includes the dirty dozen for stall/no-start and a multimeter crank sensor test. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb
Welcome and I'm about 25 miles SE of downtown Columbus outside of Canal Winchester. All my Jeeps are stock and don't really go off-road.

Also have a 96 4.0 and if it just won't start from sitting are you sure it doesn't just have a bad battery? Read through the couple links in my signature which includes the dirty dozen for stall/no-start and a multimeter crank sensor test. Good luck!
The dirty dozen has helped a lot of people definitely run through the list. You could also have a parasitic battery draw somewhere. Electrical is always a pita to diagnose. maybe Korea will come out of his monks oath silence now that I mentioned electrical >.<

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
BBZJ
1996 ZJ 

Hey thanks guys. I'm going through this list now. I have had what you call a "parasitic" battery draw since a remote car starter was put in around 02 (and still after it was removed in 2010). So when it sits the battery comes out and lives on the trickle charger.

However, because of that my battery is always suspect. I'm even on autozones list of no replace under warranty . I'll let you know how it goes.

@RagTag: definitely! I'm 36 and have 3 kids, I think that qualifies me for a brew
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Definitely. If I'm not at work I'm home gimme a shout! Lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.