Gray bumper problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gray bumper problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
SENECA

1999 WJ 

Gray bumper problem

I have a 95 and a 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo's and I bought new gray bumpers for them to try and eliminate the faded gray look to the old ones and within a few months they to are fadded and dull looking.What is the best solution short of painting them?

Thanks

SENECA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

Armoral them!!! That's what I do to give them a new shine!!!
Unread 06-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Cobra001
2012 JK Wrangler 

Seneca
On my 2000 GCL I wipe down the bumpers and clading with Eagle One Tire Wet.The shine will last for months.
Warn Front Bumper
Warn Steering Box and Engine Skids
Pro-Comp Adj. Track Bars
Cobra001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
jane8888

I kinda like that faded look.
jane8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
TSFSU

Go to walmart and find some Dupli-Color Bumper coating in the car section by the automotive-related paint. I used it on my roof racks even though it's for plastic bumpers like what you've got and it worked pretty darn good.

Tom
TSFSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2004, 05:29 AM   #6
SENECA

1999 WJ 

Thanks all ,The shine is not actually the problem it is the faded color look,but another Grand owner locally told me to use Meguiars Endurance tire protectant gel and I am going to try it here in a few minutes after breakfast.
Unread 06-28-2004, 06:29 AM   #7
wreck76

would any of these products get the scuff marks and dirt off the bumpers? my '02 GC has them along the back and near the tires and they just wont come off.

wreck
wreck76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck76
would any of these products get the scuff marks and dirt off the bumpers? my '02 GC has them along the back and near the tires and they just wont come off.

wreck
Grab a rag and put a little gasoline on it. It should do the trick and marks will scrub right off. Lighter fluid will work too, just not as fast. (no smoking!)
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
jonsjeep

The best thing to get is Aerospace 303.
I learned this from the TJ forum a while back. I recently had to trade mine in for a 2003 Grand Cherokee. 303 works to protect against UV light and keep your bumpers from fading. Other products like Armor All actually attract UV light. Trust me, this works. I made the mistake of using armor all on the fender flares of my TJ and sure enough, one month later they where starting to fade. I now use the 303 cleaner and protectant for everything and they work and protect great. It made the soft top on my TJ look like new, and it stayed that way for a long time. And no, I do not work for them.

Here is the website: www.303products.com

Hope this helps
Unread 06-28-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

Interesting, because I've never had a problem with Armoral on my JGC cladding. Perhaps, your flares were made of a different material.
Unread 06-28-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
SENECA

1999 WJ 

Just went out and bought some 303 cleaner at the local boat supply store gonna try that thanks jonsjeep.

Just tried it and it seems to work perfectly and has UV block properties to keep it from fading.

Last edited by SENECA; 06-28-2004 at 03:10 PM..
Unread 06-28-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
jonsjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICHE 8
Interesting, because I've never had a problem with Armoral on my JGC cladding. Perhaps, your flares were made of a different material.
I think they are all pretty much the same. It is that porus plastic used by several of the car makers. Amoral started them fading really fast.
Unread 06-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
jonsjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENECA
Just went out and bought some 303 cleaner at the local boat supply store gonna try that thanks jonsjeep.

Just tried it and it seems to work perfectly and has UV block properties to keep it from fading.

Glad to help. You're lucky that you can buy it local. I had to order online because there where no dealers around me.
Unread 06-28-2004, 06:02 PM   #14
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsjeep
I think they are all pretty much the same. It is that porus plastic used by several of the car makers. Amoral started them fading really fast.
Hmm, I have noticed anything, but I don't think I'll be using armarol anymore. Thanks for the tip!!!
Unread 06-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #15
TSFSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSFSU
Go to walmart and find some Dupli-Color Bumper coating in the car section by the automotive-related paint. I used it on my roof racks even though it's for plastic bumpers like what you've got and it worked pretty darn good.

Tom
I stand by my stuff It's MADE for what you want to do, and it's only like $3.96 per can at Wal-Mart.

Tom
TSFSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.