Grand Slam Southwest - Florence Junction, AZ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

GSSW pics

Grand Slam Southwest. A time to get out and wheel with your GC buddies. At the meeting point we were given the option of intermediate or Extreme. I was quietly told the extreme needed a locker, so I did the intermediate. I'm wishing I would've tried the extreme. No offense to anyone that was out there, but no one really tried anything overly aggressive. That's okay, I realize that for Kevin who was our trail leader, he didn't know the experience levels of all involved and just wanted everyone to get out safe and sound.

We only had one guy get stuck and that was because he decided to adjust the XM while negotiating a corner. We used a winch on him to keep the pull angle better. Pics of this are below.

This day (25 March) will be made infamous thanks to my quick feet. Don't worry I'm sure Ramon will tell you more about my incident involving quick feet or he'll post a couple of pics of it. I don't remember if he had the camera out or not. I was attempting to spot two morons out there in a YJ and a CJ that were hoping with enough throttle they could do some climbing. Now, the CJ at least let me give him a few pointers and just as he was clearing the obstacle he gunned it and turned his wheels in my direction. I went the other way, but was confronted by the rock wall we were passing, and he turned at me again! So I quickly dashed in my original direction and he tapped my heel as he flew by at full throttle. What a moron!!!! The YJ wouldn't listen to my advice on what line to take, so I left him to make twenty attempts at it before he built up enough speed he finally got over it. Then we all (7 in our group) slowly crawled over it without slippage to their disgust.

Oh yeah Ramon (WJ pimp) ripped one of his MT/R's lugs on the first obstacle. I guess he flexed a bit much (I was in the back and he was closer to the front so I ) and his lug caught his TR bumper and bent the bumper as well as ripping the lug all the way down to the cord. All I know is tward the back we heard what sounded like a hammer, (and it was a hammer) as Ramon was bending his bumper back so that it didn't look all messed up. Yep, time for some fender and bumper trimming Ramon!

Anyway on to the pics.

This hill is steeper than it looks. Ramon's girl Kim drove this obstacle, it was quite the ride.

My hill pics were a bit different as I chose the trail that flexed me out. However, my photographer and my camera didn't like each other much so they are kinda fuzzy.

Woody
1985 1 ton K-5, Detroit diesel, 36" tires (going bigger when money permits), 4-speed manual swap, Rockwell T-case, Hybrid lift, 12.5K winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Oh, the stuck pics!

Kevin coming up where I went down earlier.

This one got a bit scary. I went up the big hill and lost traction thanks to my photographer/spotter who said to stay right. Well the right side was soft and that didn't work. Got most of the way there and had to go all the way back down the hill backwards, but I made it up on the second try no problem. No one else made that spot, although one did try.

Woody
1985 1 ton K-5, Detroit diesel, 36" tires (going bigger when money permits), 4-speed manual swap, Rockwell T-case, Hybrid lift, 12.5K winch.
post #3 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

This was the end gathering. The folks that did the extreme trail did not get there until it was getting dark, so this was only 6 of the 7 intermediate folks. Kevin was a punk and parked his Jeep next to the grill where we couldn't fall in line with him, so he's out of the picture.

I'm sure Ramon will show up with his pics soon.

Woody

post #4 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 AM
CrawfishStu
1995 ZJ 

Nice pics woody.

95ZJ, V-8, 231, HP30.LockRight, D44A.Aussie, 8" Rusty's LA, 35x12.5 MTZs, Custom Sliders, Rusty's TC Skid, ARB Front Bumper, Tomken Rear Bumper, Phat Jeeps Steering, + More.
post #5 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Woody,
Looks great! I'm jealous!
But seriously, do you think calling Kevin a punk is gonna help your parts delivery times when you're in Alaska?? Quick edit????

Phil

'95 ZJ Ltd. White 4.0L
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
post #6 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 AM
PumaZJ

I met Kim at GSW. Ramon is a lucky guy.

1998 ZJ - 36's & bent unibody - RIP
2004 WJ - Expedition build
2011 A4 - DD
post #7 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 AM
3D Auto Custom

Super nice pics. Thank you for the info and pics. Makes me relly look forward to my vacation in Arizona this fall.
post #8 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 AM
MidniteSquirrel

what sort of front bumpers are those two WJ's running? They don't look like ARB

2002 WJ - I6

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
post #9 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Trailready's

Woody
post #10 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
HIDWJ

Nice, how did the KO's do?
post #11 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

O man... WHY do I have to be stuck in Michigan...

2013 FR-S
post #12 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 09:40 AM
rrubio
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaZJ
I met Kim at GSW. Ramon is a lucky guy.
Yes I am.She wanted to do a trail ride this weekend so there was no way of convincing her to do the extreme one on Saturday.It was nice being a passenger for once.
post #13 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Varkyl
No where near stock

great pics Woody.
Just seeing those made me want to be out there so bad! But instead I was in my garage on Sunday installing my transfer case shift lever, removing the running boards and mud flaps. So she is now ready to go to the shop and get ready for next year!

Nathan
One slightly modified '96 ZJ

new sig coming soon
post #14 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
rrubio
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Most of the guys that went with us Woody were pratically beginners except for a few of us.My WJ had a beginner driver,Kim.
The other trails are pretty hard stuff.I have done some of them and those require being locked and at least 32" aggresive tires.No one in our group besides myself and Kevin would of made the other trails,no offense Woody.Dan the other big *** WJ would of made it too but he is fairly new to wheeling and no way in hell he would of taken the other trails.Yesterday Kevin broke his tie-rod on an extreme trail.
So Saturdays trail was a good one for beginers who don't have the exp and the rig capable of something harder.

post #15 of 82 Old 03-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice pics.

BTW, that tan WJ is really big.

1991 Lexus LS400
Daily Beater

2006 Ford F250 Larait
6.0 Powerstroke | 4x4 | Crew Cab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.