grand not so grand need help quick please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > grand not so grand need help quick please

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 08-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
wwilly1968
1993 ZJ 

grand not so grand need help quick please

ok so i have 93 with the 318 awd and i have a major problem, i have replaced the fuel pump,filter,cps,coil,pulled the injectors,have done a fuel pressure test,stays steady at 39-40 pounds at idle,and 45 roughly at 2grand rpm, ok the problem she will start up fine most of the time but when she warms up temp gauge gets to 125 she does not want to idle,nor go down the road smoothly,if i keep constant pressure on the gas she runs but rough,but as soon as i let off the gas she falls flat on her face,then takes quite a few cranks to get her started again and then runs rough as all get out, nobody in my realm of friends who all drive and build jeeps has a clue because they all drive the standard Cherokee 4.0 so nobody i know knows anything about these monsters, i have sunk roughly 300.00 in her in the last two days and still the same outcome usually a smooth start up and then bam on her face, I need help BAD PLEASE AND FAST .... i had this posted last-night but it got deleted due to me putting it up as an example on another post so that post has been deleted and this is the original again,,, really needing help this is my only vehicle and i drive for a living....

Unread 08-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Have you tried to check for codes?
zj97ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Could be a clogged throttle body. Try taking off the air hat and cleaning it with cleaner. That or your idle air control valve could be extremely dirty/not working properly.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
Could be a clogged throttle body. Try taking off the air hat and cleaning it with cleaner. That or your idle air control valve could be extremely dirty/not working properly.
My first thought also .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-valve-756934/

Did you ever do a tune up ? Plugs , wires , cap and rotor ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

NO IDLE
1. Check for evidence of oil in the intake lower plenum. If there is oil, replace the intake plenum pan gasket.

2. Check the engine vacuum at idle, it should be 19-20".

STALLS ON DECELERATION
1. Test the ISC steps with a scan tool. With a warm engine in neutral, with no accessories on, if the steps are higher than 30 at idle, inspect for a collapsed PCV hose, clean the throttle body bore and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Retest for the ISC counts to be between 10 and 28 steps.

I know the second one doesn't help much with out the scan tool. Can you pull the codes by flashing them out of the cluster?
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

disconnect O2 sensor and see if that helps. if it does replace sensor with NTK brand.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like bad plugs/wires.......
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
disconnect O2 sensor and see if that helps. if it does replace sensor with NTK brand.

If it only does it at operating temps, I'll go with this one as my first suspect, too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
wwilly1968
1993 ZJ 

ok plugs wires cap and button all changed,iac i removed and cleaned was not bad at all,pcv hose is fine.not collapsed and is working, i disconnected one o2 sensor and it ran way worse than if it were hooked up now ??? do i have two of these jewels ??? if so where is the other one i unhooked the one before the cat... the whole isc thing i could prolly have my buddy do that he has a computer diagnostic tool, this started out of nowhere one day lasted a day then went away for two weeks roughly and came back last Thursday outta nowhere and has just progressively gotten worse... has broke me seriously and i do not want to do not want to just keep buying parts and replacing them so far nothing i have done has worked....
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
That won't make much difference on an OBDI
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

op, you only have one o2 sensor.

newfie, educate me on the OBD1 O2 sensor . Does it have a different interface with the ECU?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
wwilly1968
1993 ZJ 

ok so if that is the case i have unplugged that one o2 sensor and it ran way worse but plugged it back in and it ran like it did before i unplugged it did not run better another words, ok so when i took the iac out i did not clean like the whole throttle bottle should i remove it and clean it thoroughly ????
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

I have a 94 zj same as your set up and when mine was doing this I replaced the idle air control valve, the throttle position sensor, ignition coil cap and rotor, as well as the cam shaft position sensor, the plugs and wires, and the O2 sensor with the NTK every says you have to have. and after all that it worked for about a month. the NTK O2 sensor went bad twice within a month and a half. and I changed it and got the premium Bosch O2 sensor from advance auto and haven't had any problems with the o2 sensor since. the engine did start to do it's gremlin thing again and I finally broke down and bought a brand new egr valve for it and I haven't had any problem since.

have you tried doing to key trick to pull the error codes from the computer? if so what are they and I can better help you as to which "loop" you are working with.
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
wwilly1968
1993 ZJ 

she is not showing any codes,have a buddy coming out this weekend and he is a dodge man and has similar problems so were going to test the map,tps,going to just tinker around and see if we can nail it down,but by far do not stop giving me your opinions at this point i would take a garage full of people to study her and see what they come up with I have def been writing all your ideas down and going through the elimination process.... and if any or all these work i will def be sure to let everyone know what the GREMLIN was...
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
wwilly1968
1993 ZJ 

ok sooo today i pulled the throttle bottle completely stripped it cleaned it took a look down her throat and looked pretty clean no puddling of oil carbon but nothing that would suggest plenum not being in good shape,my buddy showed up we did all kinds of stuff and he seems to think that my iac is not fully engaging or disengaging ???

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.