Grand Cherokee won't stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee won't stay running

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
JackJack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Grand Cherokee won't stay running

After Irene hit, I had to drive my 95 grand Cherokee through water that was up to the fog lights and grill area. After that it ran perfectly for about a week and then I was driving on the highway and the jeep starting "bucking" I managed to get off at the next exit before it completely died, after that it wouldn't start and then about a week later I tried again to start it and it ran for at most 10 seconds. I've checked all of the spark plugs and they Are fine I can't think of anything else to check. any suggestions? Please help me get her back on the road, 3 months is way to long with out a jeep!

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
caligiuri87
1994 ZJ 

check the coil in front and check your alternator as well. check the grounds and batterie connectors. other than that u could check the computer by the firewall behind the coolant bottle. when it ran did it smoke? check oil and coolant. if it is milky then u sucked wate in the airintake and could blown ur headgasket.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

spray WD-40 inside the dist. and its cap and retry.

I would also disconnect the battery for an hour or two to reset the puter.
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
JackJack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligiuri87
check the coil in front and check your alternator as well. check the grounds and batterie connectors. other than that u could check the computer by the firewall behind the coolant bottle. when it ran did it smoke? check oil and coolant. if it is milky then u sucked wate in the airintake and could blown ur headgasket.
The water level was below the air intake, and no smoke
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
cody_love
1989 XJ Cherokee 

sound like it could be the distributor i dont this playing in the river you can either let it sit and dry itself out or some people use a hair dryer i would try that
cody_love is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.