Grand Cherokee won't stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee won't stay running

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
JackJack
04 Wrangler X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Grand Cherokee won't stay running

After Irene hit, I had to drive my 95 grand Cherokee through water that was up to the fog lights and grill area. After that it ran perfectly for about a week and then I was driving on the highway and the jeep starting "bucking" I managed to get off at the next exit before it completely died, after that it wouldn't start and then about a week later I tried again to start it and it ran for at most 10 seconds. I've checked all of the spark plugs and they Are fine I can't think of anything else to check. any suggestions? Please help me get her back on the road, 3 months is way to long with out a jeep!

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
caligiuri87
1994 ZJ 

check the coil in front and check your alternator as well. check the grounds and batterie connectors. other than that u could check the computer by the firewall behind the coolant bottle. when it ran did it smoke? check oil and coolant. if it is milky then u sucked wate in the airintake and could blown ur headgasket.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

spray WD-40 inside the dist. and its cap and retry.

I would also disconnect the battery for an hour or two to reset the puter.
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
JackJack
04 Wrangler X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligiuri87
check the coil in front and check your alternator as well. check the grounds and batterie connectors. other than that u could check the computer by the firewall behind the coolant bottle. when it ran did it smoke? check oil and coolant. if it is milky then u sucked wate in the airintake and could blown ur headgasket.
The water level was below the air intake, and no smoke
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
cody_love
1989 XJ Cherokee 

sound like it could be the distributor i dont this playing in the river you can either let it sit and dry itself out or some people use a hair dryer i would try that
cody_love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.