Grand Cherokee won't idle after dead battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee won't idle after dead battery

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
ebne0018
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Grand Cherokee won't idle after dead battery

HELP!

My father-in-law's 96 Grand Cherokee is taking up valuable space in my driveway because it won't idle after the battery died. We used it to move some building supplies and the lights got left on.

After jumping the Jeep, it will no longer idle. It seems to run fine if I keep my foot on the throttle and I am pretty sure the alternator is working and the battery is accepting charge because now it will start without any help from a jump.

Did the jump maybe blow a fuse? Could it be a bad battery?

Help!

Thanks

ebne0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
cpudoc6
1996 XJ Cherokee 

IAC, There are many write ups on cleaning this. What happes is the Idle Air Controll motor runs all the way in to get referance then it sticks. Once it sticks you need to pull it out and clean it. It is about a 10 - 15 minute job.

Good Luck
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

its a jeep/dodge thing. the computer has to relean the adjustments for the IAC dont bother cleaning it yet. just drive it for 8-10 warm up cycles and it will be fine. help it idle- left foot brake hold your foot on throttle a lil, etc. this helps the relearn.
if it dont start working after 50 miles then somthing is wrong
kc8ztw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
ebne0018
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks everyone. I may need to try and fix the IAC first. the jeep has a large trailer attached and I would need to back it out of the driveway with the trailer attached. That would be very difficult with a truck that doesn't idle.
Unread 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
crazymjb
1998 ZJ 

I had this problem too. Just get it started and feather the throttle for 5-10 minutes and the ECU will relearn whatever it needs to.

Mike
crazymjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
ebne0018
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I cleaned the IAC, very poorly, but I cleaned it and the truck started right up!
Unread 08-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
ray_c_yuen

My nissan pulsar (1990 model n13) was doing exactly the same thing after totally draining the battery. After recharging the battery the car started fine and could be driven but stalled as soon as the revs dropped. I was going to buy a new battery then the automotive electrician said "it sounds like your throttle body. Bring it down and I'll clean it out" (at a cost of course). I've never heard of a throttle body before and was willing to pay to have it repaired. Then my mate suggested 'Try Throttle Body Cleaner' a relatively cheap aerosol spray that works like carby cleaner or fuel injector cleaner (a solvent). It was a simple matter of removing the big rubber hose between the air cleaner and the 'throttle body'. Immediately after spraying the cleaner into the throttle body (it lays horizontal) all this black liquid started flowing out (I'm assuming carbon build up). I started the car and it was idling!!, I sprayed some more cleaner inside while twisting the throttle and I've save some hard earned money. A simple solution that I have not seen after searching many forums.
ray_c_yuen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.