Grand Cherokee and Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee and Towing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
pierre_piav

Grand Cherokee and Towing

Thinking about getting a bigger boat, and would tow primarily with our Grand Cherokee. I don't have any problem with the weight of the boat, but the length of the trailer gives me some concern.

Have any of you used a cherokee to tow a 23+ foot boat. I tow a lot of boats at work, and I know if the distance from the trailer wheels to the hitch is too long compared to the wheel base of the towing vehicle, the boat can push the vehicle around pretty good.

Anyway, your thoughts on the subject are much appreciated.

pierre_piav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2002, 02:25 AM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

You might think about a stabilizing tow hitch or equalizer bars. They will help prevent the side to side swaying you can get on longer trailers.

HTH
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Intrepidjeep

The length isn't such a big deal in my experience. Weight, speed and towing equipment are the important factors, along with great tires and shocks.

Make sure the boat and trailer combination aren't heavier than the rated towing capacity. Make sure you have really good, firm shocks that keep the vehicle in good control. Make sure you use a weight-distributing hitch -- it transfers some of the weight to the front tires for better distribution. Air up the tires to closer to the maximum listed on the sidewall; stay a few PSI short of maximum, though, since they'll gain some pressure as the tire temperature goes up.

Last but not least, keep your speed DOWN and enjoy the scenery!!

-- Marcus
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
valkyr

Besides shocks and other considerations already mentioned...

Toughen up your Grand by installing Addco (or equivelant) anti-sway bars, front and rear. Stock bars are fine for most driving conditions, but an upgrade would help stability. You'll also like the improvement when not towing the boat.
valkyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.