JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Grand Cherokee power window/lock problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/grand-cherokee-power-window-lock-problem-589397/)

737FlyGuy 08-01-2008 04:20 PM

Grand Cherokee power window/lock problem

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Last week the power windows and locks on all the doors/windows went out except for the driver's window/lock. I can't control any of the other windows/locks from the driver's master controller either. does anyone know if their is a fuse that controls all of that or a soleniod that could of gone bad? It just seems odd that all but the driver's windows and locks failed all at once. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

737FlyGuy 08-03-2008 11:45 AM

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kruzin 08-03-2008 12:15 PM

Look at the wiring harness between the body and driver's door for broken wires.
Could also possibly be a bad master switch in the drivers door.

737FlyGuy 08-04-2008 11:02 AM

Kruzin, Thanks for the help. do you think it could be in the driver's side door even if the windows/locks don't work even at the individual windows and doors as well? thansk again for the help.

SJZ 08-04-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 737FlyGuy (Post 5533248)
Kruzin, Thanks for the help. do you think it could be in the driver's side door even if the windows/locks don't work even at the individual windows and doors as well? thansk again for the help.

Yes it could be, because everything gets routed thru the drivers door. Don't forget that the drivers door has that switch which disables the other windows & locks/unlocks all the doors.

bassicaLee 11-12-2009 09:48 PM

if you dont care about anyone asking you to open windows for them or you dont want others to open the windows without your master control permission ;), you can use 2 small wires about 1/16 diameter perferably solid core and trim about 1/8th of insulator off each end of a 1" long peice.

then all you have to do is take off all the passenger doors, unplug all the passenger window switches, and use the 2 jumper wires you made on each plug.
the plug has holes like this

|0|o| jump these ones 0 to 0 and o to o
|0|o| to these ones
|_|O| this is the power hole dont jump to it unless you like sparklers.

if you jump 0 to o horizontally on both, up is down and down is up on the drivers controls. if your into that kinda thing.

i did it on mine. i cant find good switches at the junkyard and got sick of trying. however drivers side controls generally last longer so you can do this and control all the windows.
if you take apart the switches you will see why this works. the switches are always in a circuit. adding power to the circuit cuts part of the circuit and allows the window to either move up or down. cool eh?

anyways try it. its super easy. and its fun to mess with your passengers.

1ATony 11-13-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruzin (Post 5529609)
Look at the wiring harness between the body and driver's door for broken wires.
Could also possibly be a bad master switch in the drivers door.

Check that, and I'd also test the switch with a test light to see what has power and what may not.Then you can see if there's power coming from the switch to the other side.

Hope this helps yah,

Tony

justtalkin 11-13-2009 06:33 PM

To 737FlyGuy...I have the same problem with my 96 Grand Cherokee Limited. Were you able to fix your problem?

zacharyburnett 01-11-2011 06:44 PM

I'm having the same problem, and so far no success. Any recommendations besides rewiring the master switch? I'll definitely take off the door panel and look at the master switch, but rewiring it is a little out of my league, equipment wise (poor college student).

eidolon19 01-18-2011 03:03 PM

I have a '96 and have the same problem. All the research and the diagrams I look at point to the passenger side Body Computer Module. It controls the Rear Driver side, and both passenger side windows/locks/mirrors. If power isn't getting to it, or the ground is bad, or the unit is broke, you won't have those windows and locks. I still have yet to fix mine though lol, I would like to know if there are any sites when I can order one...? Someone help?

Michealg1981 04-16-2011 06:26 AM

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee and mine is doing the same thing I have replaced the master switch still not working if anyone figures it out please let me know I am going to take a look at the wires and see if the problem is there. This sounds like it should be a recall. Now I have an extra master switch I paid 75 bucks for.

doomi 04-16-2011 08:18 AM

Have you guys checked the wires inside of the black rubber boot that runs to the door? It's a pretty common issue for them to become worn and break after time. Although the OP's situation sounds more like a master switch, I would always check the wires in the boot first.

Michealg1981 04-16-2011 10:50 AM

I checked the boot and my black ground wire had been split in two I put it back together but the problem was still there. Since I tried every fix to try and solve the problem I decided to go under the hood and pull my fuse for the windows even though it tested good and swapped it with another fuse and wouldn't you know my windows work now. It is fuse number 12 under the hood it's a 50. So i have spent a 200 dollars on a master switch and a window motor and the problem was solved with a 4 dollar fuse. Just gotta laugh. Hope this helps you guys out.

1ATony 04-19-2011 07:57 AM

OK well add me to the list :rantscream:

My wife called me yesterday morning (had the day off), and said I went through the DD drive through rolled the window down and now it won't go back up and the door locks and all the other windows don't work.:facepalm:

I meet her to swap vehicles and the first thing I did was open the door push the window switch in the up position and shook the harness between the door and the truck, and the window went up.

So I said well there has to be a broke or frayed wire in there looks like I'll be soldering.

Got home and too the door panel off,took the kick panel out and trace every single wire by hand and they were all fine.:club:

lol...so in my case I'm thinking that the plug some how may have loosened up that goes to the door.Not sure how that could happen but I've tried the locks and windows a million times and everything seems fine.

rlcii77 04-19-2011 08:43 AM

I had the same thing happen to my windows the other day. It was the wiring in the boot on the driver's side. One was broke completely in two & a couple of others were cracked. Going to solder & shrink wrap them. I can't remember what color the wire that broke was.

The time now is 08:46 AM.