Grand Cherokee power lock issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee power lock issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Char250r
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Grand Cherokee power lock issues

When the old lady hits the power door lock button, 2 doors lock, the other 2 just buzz and remain unlocked. I would imagine that 2 of the door lock motors (or whatever is in there) are broken. Anyone ever had to change these before? Just looking for some info before I start removing the door panels. Thanks.

Char250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

What year Grand Cherokee?
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Char250r
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DothanJeep View Post
What year Grand Cherokee?
The Cherokee is a 2000
Unread 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

It's a piece of cake. I did two myself in about an hour and I took my time. All plug n play stuff. It would take a 9th grader about the same amount of time.

Remove the philips screws from the mid section of the door first. You'll break some door panel clips prying off the panels but it will still go back together ok. The dealer or a parts store probably has em. I think you may also need a torx bit to remove the "door lock actuator" (which is the part you need for this).

Be careful in disconnecting the wiring harness from the door panel.

The only tough part is accessing the rods the actuate the door handle and getting the "keepers" off of each rod without cutting into your hand or breaking anything.

PM Kolak for a good price. Tell 'em what you need, he'll send it you you and it will be blatently obvious what you need to replace after that.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Your gunna need to check the lock actuator. The buzz is that lock trying to engage but can't. Sometimes you can spray some WD-40 on them an they'll work. But most of the time you'll need to replace them.

My rear hatch had the same problem and I needed to manually lock and unlock it. Just bought a new actuator, and waiting to install it.
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Almost forgot.... read this over too.

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.ph...d=17&Itemid=93
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 06-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
Char250r
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Double E: excellent thread with pics. I wish I saw the post before I took the door apart. Taking the door apart was a piece of cake. I took out the actualor, cleaned and lubed it, and it still buzzes and doesn't move. Time to get the wallet out and buy a couple new ones. Where can I get them besides my local stealership? Who and where is this Kolak you mentioned?
Unread 06-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
ZooTech
1995 ZJ 

All four of mine went bad and I simply unplugged them, leaving them in place, and installed aftermarket actuators (like $5.00 each from places like Parts Express). I then installed an aftermarket keyless entry unit which powers them but you could just as easily use the factory actuator wiring to run them.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-010

http://www.millionbuy.com/accdoorlock.html
~ Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks
~ 31x10.5x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
~ 15x8 black Unique wheels
ZooTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

kolak@aol.com or you can PM him through the forum. He posts in many threads on exhaust, sway bars and other such upgrades as well.

ZooTech has a good point but I don't know if that setup will work on the WJ.
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
mthunderwolf
1998 WJ 

Grand Cherokee Door Lock Actuator

I did a search and found this thread and am having a problem with my driver side rear door lock. Can any of you guys tell me where I can get the replacement actuator without going to a dealer but get a good quality part?
Thanks!
mthunderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.