Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Grand Cherokee power window fix

523 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  W33k3ndWarrior 
#1 ·
Wanted to post this in case anyone else had the same issue at any point. About 2 weeks ago, right after i bought my zj, my power windows all cut out at once. I couldn't get them to work from any of the doors. When i opened my driver side door and pulled back the boot covering the wiring, i saw that a wire had snapped. I tried reconnecting the wire to where it broke and it worked temporarily. The problem was i couldn't implement a permanent solution. I couldn't reconnect the wire because it disconnected from the pin in a wiring casing inside the door.
THE FIX:
After 2 days of trying everything i could think of, i took it to my jeep buddy. He had the genius idea of bypassing the casing entirely and straight wiring it. We pulled my door panel, traced the broken wire. And pulled it out with the pin attached. We cut it behind near the point where it connected to the door, spliced in 18 gauge wire, we used crimps and heat shrink tubing to make sure it was a clean connection since it would be inside the door. The next step was finding a way to get it around the casing. We decided to drill a very small hole on the door near the plastic casing and ran the wire through there. We used the same crimping and heat shrink tubing set up on the other connection and bam, we had a straight wire running through the door and bypassing the plastic casing housing the pins and other wiring connections. To make it cleaner we popped a hole in the rubber boot and fed the wire back through to prevent it getting caught in the door. This fix worked amazingly well and if you have a similar problem, this might be the way to go. I hope this can help some people out there ?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks W33K I found this post after I fixed mine last night. I got lucky my Black wire you suggested was broke into. So I splice onto one end of it .. Then I put about a 2 inch new section of wire in place & Splice it with another butt splice. &
& WALA I had my windows back working.
I THOUGH ABOUT DRILLING A HOLE in the door if I couldn't get my splice to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.