Grand Cherokee Limited Climate Control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee Limited Climate Control

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
danglenode
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Grand Cherokee Limited Climate Control

Hi all -

Hope everyone is doing well. I have yet another issue with my 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited. Ever since I got the Jeep (April 08) I have had nothing but what seems to be expensive repairs. The newest one added to the list has to do with the heated seats and the AC/Heater fan control knob.

I was driving today with the temp settings on both side set to low, and the blower set to "Auto Hi" after about 5 minutes the blower stopped blowing then started again. Now the fan is out completely. I can hear the vents changing when I change the knob to different directions and the AC is still cold, just very little air blowing (has a vent like feel).

I also noticed that that passenger side heated seat is not working; well the switch isn't anyway. The driver side never worked but now neither of them work.

Are there relays or fuses for the Heated seats? What are my troubleshooting options for possible things to check?

Does the blower fan switch go bad or are there fuses or relays to replace? I doesnt sound like a fuse but you never know. Can you just replace the switch or do you have to get the whole unit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always.

danglenode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

im in the middle of working on an auto climate control problem in my 04 limited.

get the codes using this method from wjjeeps.com

Quote:
1. To enter the self-diagnostic mode, depress the a/c and recirc buttons at the same time and hold. Rotate the left temperature control knob clockwise (CW) one detent.

2. If you continue to keep the a/c and recirc buttons depressed, the AZC control module will perform a Segment Test of the Vacuum Fluorescent (VF) display. In the Segment Test you should see all of the display segments illuminate as long as both buttons are held. If a display segment fails to illuminate, the vacuum fluorescent display is faulty and the a/c heater control must be replaced.

3. After viewing the Segment Test, release the A/C and Recirc buttons and the display will clear momentarily. If there are no fault codes, the “00” display value will remain in the VF window. Should there be any codes, each will be displayed for one second in ascending numerical sequence (note: no effort is made to display faults in the order they occurred). The left side set temperature display will be blanked and the right side set temperature display will indicate current and historical codes (8 historical max) presently active.

Once all codes have been displayed, the system will repeat the fault code numbers. This will continue until the left side set temperature control is moved at least one detent position in either direction, by pressing both the A/C and Recirc buttons at the same time, or the ignition is turned off. Record all of the fault codes, then see the Current and Historical Fault Code charts below for the descriptions.

then go to this link http://wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

and look up what the codes mean and post them here
04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
danglenode
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Climate control Code 52

Ok, So I checked the code and looked on wj jeeps and it says this:

52 = AI (Recirc) door travel range too large

Unfortunately I am not sure how to rectify this issue. The system appeared to function correctly when I started the Jeep to test the Climate Control.

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Mine did something very similar. Your recirc door has probably broken off and has fallen down to block the airflow. Drop the blower (passenger footwell, 3 torx bits) and see if the recirc door (which should be directly above the blower) has broken and fallen off. I managed to twist mine around and pull it out the hole for the blower motor.

Intermittent blower operation could also be a melted plug at the resistor pack, a very common failure, search wjjeeps.com and this forum for blower motor connector repair. You'll get plenty of info.
Unread 10-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
danglenode
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OK cool thanks!! That helps a lot. If it has broken off do I need to fix it or will the Blower continue to blow and not throw codes?

Now is the resistor thing hard to repair? I will do a search and see what I can find out. Thanks for the help!
Unread 10-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

everything can be found by searching, its the #1,2,3 and 5 problem with wjs
Unread 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I'm also having trouble with fault code 52.

I took it to have the blend doors repaired and also the redirc door, and after I got it back 52 appeared. I took it back, and they fixed something else, and now its back on again. (All within 2 weeks). So I guess I'm taking it back now.

Does anyone know if codes stay in the system? The reason I ask is because my redirc door seems to be working fine. (I can feel and hear the air difference when the rediric button is pressed). Its just a matter of getting this stupid code off (I think).........

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Did you try clearing the fault codes?

From wjjeeps.com:

Quote:
Current faults cannot be electronically cleared. Repair must be made to the system to eliminate the fault causing code. Historical fault codes can be cleared manually, or automatically. To clear a historical fault manually, depress and hold either the A/C or Recirc button for at least three seconds while the display is in the fault code mode of operation. Historical fault codes are cleared automatically when the corresponding current fault code has been cleared, and has remained cleared for 72 ignition cycles. The faults have been cleared when two horizontal bars appear in the Test Selector display.
Unread 10-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I tried clearing them using the method from WJJeeps.com but i'm not sure if I did it right, it still gave the codes. It's back at the dealership....AGAIN...for the 4th time with this issue. I kinda laid it into them this time, hopefully it gets fixed

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
alphamag
2004 WJ 

You Guys Rock. New member with ac probs. Did google search and found this thread. Tried Canucks fix and it worked like a charm. One question. Do I have to replace the recirc door? Sorry if already answered. Many thanks and God Bless.
alphamag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

I had a similar problem, as long as my front windows work the ac is unneeded extra weight and gets removed if it quits, my jeep is my 10th truck and ive never had a/c. Oh well, one day ill get a new one with a warenty
tizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.