Grand Cherokee Limited 99 Exhaust Smell in Cabin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee Limited 99 Exhaust Smell in Cabin

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
debbie9339

Grand Cherokee Limited 99 Exhaust Smell in Cabin

I am smelling all the time for months now a consistent exhaust smell in the cabin. The smell is the smell coming from the tailpipe that should go away right after starting the car but I think it stays consistent. A friend has a new Lexus SUV and it made that smell when he turned his car on but then within seconds went away.

I might have hit a curb down the road could it be I just need a new mufflier or a cracked manifold or a cracked vent hose? It doesn't make any noise no rattling or and drives very nicely.....doesn't seem to be running rough.

Want to go to the mechanic educated and on target so im not told it's something it isn't that I can't afford.

Debbie

debbie9339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Open the hood with the engine running and see if you can hear or smell any exhaust leaks. A leak underhood could get sucked into the climate control system.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

What engine does it have?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Where are you located? Northern?

My 93 was always smelling like exhaust and horror of horrors, I found a hole in the floor above the tailpipe.
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.