Grand Cherokee - Alarm goes off on unlocking and opening the drivers door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee - Alarm goes off on unlocking and opening the drivers door

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
AndyShaw
1997 ZJ 

Grand Cherokee - Alarm goes off on unlocking and opening the drivers door

Hi there, I've got a problem with the alarm on my '97 5.2l Grand Cherokee Limited. Any advice is welcome.

I bought my 'vintage' Jeep a couple of months ago and the factory alarm goes off whenever I unlock and open the driver's door. If I unlock the passenger door the alarm is disarmed and everything works as it should. The only way that I've found to shut off the alarm when it's gone off in this way is to unlock the passenger door using my key.

I don't have a remote access key fob so always lock the car using the central locking button inside the car and then unlock using my key and then operate the central locking within the car.

I've got a secondary alarm based on a remote start so am more than happy to disarm/disable the system if that's the most cost effective solution.

Any thoughts/guidance are welcome.

AndyShaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Well, I can tell you that the reason you have to unlock the passenger door to disable the alarm is because there's a sensor in each lock cylinder on the vehicle, and the one in the driver's door is worn out. Eventually the one in the passenger door will wear out too, and then you'll have to unlock the hatch to disarm the thing...

Anyway, on my '93 the alarm was disabled by grounding a certain wire in the driver's kick panel, but on the newer ones such as yours, I think they made it more difficult. Someone else will have to chime in here.

Have you tried a search?

CI888

P. S. BTW, I see that it's your first post. Welcome to the forum!
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
AndyShaw
1997 ZJ 

CI888,

Thanks very much for your reply and for the information. I'll start looking into how difficult it is to replace the lock cylinder....

I've searched through the forums but couldn't find anything on this specific problem. Hopefully someone will have the answer. Thanks again for your help.

Andy
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
03GCherokee

Here's the info for the door lock cylinder itself. I don't know if the problem lies in the cylinder itself or in the switch, but here's some info for the cylinder.

Part OEM Part Price
Door Lock Cylinder
Front Door
Door Lock Cylinder
Replace
Front Door
TO replace cylinder 1.0 hour ---This is how much labor a shop should charge and how long it should take. My guess is that the switch is the problem and would take about the same amount of time as the cylinder.

Here's the procedure to replace the switch.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the bezel near the inside door latch release handle by inserting a straight-bladed screwdriver in the notched end and prying gently upwards.

Front Door Trim Panel Remove/Install

3. Remove the door trim panel mounting screw located in the bezel opening near the inside door latch release handle.
4. Remove the trim cap and screw near the rear of the door armrest.
5. Remove the trim cap and screw at the upper front corner of the trim panel.
6. Using a wide flat-bladed tool such as a trim stick, pry the trim panel away from the door around the perimeter and remove the trim panel.

NOTE: To aid in the removal of the trim panel, start at the bottom of the panel.

7. Unplug the wire harness connectors from the door module and set the trim panel aside.
8. Pull the watershield away from the rear access holes in the inner door panel.

9. Remove the U-clip retainer that secures the lock cylinder to the outer door panel.
10. Disconnect the lock cylinder rod from the door latch by unsnapping the retainer from the rod.

Door Disarm Switch

11 Pull the lock cylinder out from the outer door panel far enough to pry the lock cylinder switch off of the back of the lock cylinder.

12. Unplug the lock cylinder switch wire harness connector and remove the switch from inside the door.
13. Reverse the removal procedures to install.
03GCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
AndyShaw
1997 ZJ 

03GCherokee,

Thank you very much for your reply, the switch appears to have re-connected/fixed itself at the moment. I'll change it as soon as it fails again.

Cheers,

Andy
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Telejoke
1994 WJ 

Thanks for posting this info. When I bought my Jeep I noticed that the lock on the driver's side was "indented" and looked like someone had tried to jimmy it in the past. I'll print out your procedure for my mechanic in hopes of shortening the time for a fix.
Telejoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.