Grand Cherokee AC/Ventilation Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee AC/Ventilation Problem

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
1998GrCherokee
1998 ZJ 

Grand Cherokee AC/Ventilation Problem

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee with 155,000 miles on it. Still runs well with one problem. When I have the AC/Vent system on, when I step on the accelerator, the ventilation get redirected from the panel vents to the defroster vents on top of the dash. For a while, if I took my foot off the gas momentarily the airflow would go back to the panel vents, but that no longer happens. I first thought this could be a vacuum problem, but haven't been able to find any leaks. Im not getting any indication of a problem like the check engine light on or anything else. If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate any suggestions of how to proceed.

1998GrCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

That is a symptom of a vacumn leak. Check all the hoses carefully. Where it goes through the firewall especially. The is a small check valve in the line coming off the manifold, see if you can blow through it one way but not the other. Eyeball the vacumn resevoir carefully. Lastly, you could have a leak inside the cab in some of the tubing or a vacumn motor, selector switch. I have a hand held vacumn pump I got from harbor frieght I use for stuff like that.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
SCZJ

1994 ZJ 

x2. It's a vacuum leak. There is a small cluster of vacuum lines under the hood between the battery and the overflow tank. I had two tiny plastic lines broken here. I used tiny rubber hose that fit over the lines and then inside a larger diameter rubber hose to fix mine. That took care of the vent problem for me.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
adamysr

I Have a similar problem, but for me the vents turn off when I accelerate hard, and when I let off the gas I hear a "pop" and the air starts coming through the vents again.... Vacuum leak or the mode door ??
adamysr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

This is EXACTLY what happened to mine. pop yer hood, look on pass side near firewall and u should see a vacuum line with a smaller rubber port with an even smaller vacuum line attached. For me, this was the line that went into my cab and controlled my selector. When i would get on the interstate, it would default to defrost, then when i got up to speed, it would go back to normal. Found there was a tiny crack in this VERY small line. went and got some new vacuum tubing and replaced the section and whaa-laa air works great. Hope this helps
Dubfire98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree with others, it's a vacuum leak, and check the hoses along with vacuum reservoir as coralman said. This reservoir is actually in the hollow bottom plastic battery tray. Good idea to pull this tray and check the rubber hose which attaches to the bottom since sometimes it tends to rot/loosen.

Most likely the plastic line will break/crack at the "T" where the small black plastic line goes through the firewall to the control switch or where the line by the right front fender attaches to the cruise control servo. Also check where the plastic line attaches to the intake with a short section of hose.

Once I had a leak in one of the small hoses/lines behind the dash and was able to pull it down to work on. Took an old bic pen apart, cut 1/2" of the empty ink tube, cut the crack/hole out of the vacuum line, heated both ends slightly, slid the ink tube in as a splice, and covered with electrical tape. Worked great.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
1998GrCherokee
1998 ZJ 

Sorry to take so long to reply to all of your advice...been busy with work and just a few family issues. I did find the problem ...a break in a small vacuum hose just in the engine compartment side of the firewall. Of course I found this only after tearing half the front of the engine compartment apart trying to get to the vacuum resevoir and tracing all the different vacuum lines. Needless to say the last place I looked (and the easiest to get to) I found the break. I cut the line and using a 2 1/2" piece of vacuum line and all is good. Thanks for all your replies and for pointing me in the right direction.
1998GrCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.