Grand cherokee 98 zj tank pressure question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand cherokee 98 zj tank pressure question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Pluemer15
1998 ZJ 

Grand cherokee 98 zj tank pressure question

Hey my zj never makes a pressure sound when I open the tank cap. Is this normal for grand Cherokees ? All my other vehicles make this pressure noise when I open the tank.

Pluemer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If the evap system is working properly and you open while it has been running I don't believe you will ever hear that sound. If it has been sitting in the sun parked and off you might but I,m not sure. The purge solenoid opens and closes very rapidly in succession when called upon by the pcm to do so. Manifold vacumn pulls the vapors out of the tank to be reburned or ran through the charcoal filter, I can't remember which. If the check valve is bad in the cap you may hear a whoosh also.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Pluemer15
1998 ZJ 

Thank you
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree with coralman and if your fuel tank pressure system is working correctly you shouldn't hear any sound in removing the cap. The emission system line going to the top of the tank removes the fuel vapors, filters them though the charcoal canister behind the far left front bumper to remove the impurities, then they're pulled into the intake by vacuum to be burned through the engine.

This same line acts as a breather so when the pump runs it doesn't pull all the fuel/air out of the tank which can cause the tanks to collapse. Sames true when the gas expands when hot out and the fumes are vented through the emission system to relieve pressure. While the correct tank caps have a vent/vacuum pressure setting I believe these are only used when pressure/vacuum is extreme and the emission system is not working correctly.

The whole idea is to vent the gas fumes through the engine with an emission system rather than venting them through the tank cap vent so they aren't released into the air/atmosphere.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Pluemer15
1998 ZJ 

Thanks that makes sense. I'm glad that the vapors get a second chance to be reburned. I need all the mpg's I can get lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.