JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Grand Cherokee 5.9 vibration? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/grand-cherokee-5-9-vibration-1551916/)

Georgeninner 07-21-2013 06:43 PM

Grand Cherokee 5.9 vibration?

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 and I just took a weekend trip to a lake. I did a lot of wheeling including mudding, rock crawling, and going up and down sand dunes and now my jeep has a pretty bad vibration from 60mph up. I don't feel it in the steering wheel but I can feel the jeep vibrate or wobble kind of. Any idea of what could be causing that? The jeep has no lift and has some BFG allterrain T/A KOs if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Georgeninner 07-21-2013 07:41 PM

Now I just got under my jeep and noticed that I blew the living crap out of my steering stabilizer and the fluid is splattered all over the place and the bushing looks kinda bad too. Could this be causing the shake/wobble? All other parts looked fine.

mig1289 07-21-2013 09:02 PM

i had a pretty bad vibration in my jeep around 50-70mph. I had my tires rotated and balanced this afternoon cured it. Buying a new steering stabilizer will just mask the underlying cause of the problem.

Have you replaced any bushings in the control arms, sway bar, track bar, or tie rod ends? etc

MoparMech 07-21-2013 09:03 PM

Did you check for mud inside the rims?

Georgeninner 07-21-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mig1289 (Post 15703488)
i had a pretty bad vibration in my jeep around 50-70mph. I had my tires rotated and balanced this afternoon cured it. Buying a new steering stabilizer will just mask the underlying cause of the problem.

Have you replaced any bushings in the control arms, sway bar, track bar, or tie rod ends? etc

I went ahead and checked out everything else to make sure it all felt tight and the track bar doesn't seem to have any movement, i just put new sway bar end links and bushings so i know that's fine but my tie rods do seem to move a bit. It moves between 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch (not really good with measurements) could that be one of the culprits? And I'm sure i don't need rotation or balancing i just bought the tires a few weeks ago.

Georgeninner 07-21-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparMech (Post 15703492)
Did you check for mud inside the rims?

Yes I actually had pretty bad steering wheel wobble, then I noticed my rims were packed with mud so i rinsed them out. The steering wheel wobble stopped but the rest of the jeep still seems to wobble when i get up to speed.

MoparMech 07-21-2013 09:19 PM

Well... Check U joints for looseness, Steering components, Check U joints for binding. Missing wheel weights too.

StPaul59 07-21-2013 09:23 PM

This is why I quit jumping in the mud.

Georgeninner 07-21-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparMech (Post 15703549)
Well... Check U joints for looseness, Steering components, Check U joints for binding. Missing wheel weights too.

U-joints are all fine and all my wheel weights are there the only thing i noticed kind of loose was my tie rods so that combined with the steering stabilizer are my guess for the problem. I noticed since a while back that my tie rods were a bit loose but I guess the stabilizer disguised the problem and now that its blown it finally exposed the problem.

Georgeninner 07-21-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StPaul59 (Post 15703566)
This is why I quit jumping in the mud.

Hey when you live in the desert and only get mud once a year you cant resist giving it a dip and getting it dirty as soon as you see mud :2thumbsup:. And well it already had the vibration since before once you got it above 90mph (don't ask me how I know) but since my steering stabilizer was not blown it felt really insignificant so I just didn't pay attention to it until now that i see how serious it is.

Timo_90xj 07-22-2013 06:15 AM

It only vibrates above 60mph? No death wobble, but a vibration as in tires vibrate?

First things first, check that your wheels are still balanced. It's very easy to loose a weight or two from the wheels when going thru mud bogs or crawling on rocks. Just a small weight missing and it can cause your Jeep to vibrate quite a bit at certain speeds.

Your steering stabilizer has nothing to do with vibes, if anything it'll mask death- wobble if you have worn components in your steering. You want all the bushings and TREs to be in top condition to give you a vibration free ride.

Georgeninner 07-22-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo_90xj (Post 15704259)
It only vibrates above 60mph? No death wobble, but a vibration as in tires vibrate?

First things first, check that your wheels are still balanced. It's very easy to loose a weight or two from the wheels when going thru mud bogs or crawling on rocks. Just a small weight missing and it can cause your Jeep to vibrate quite a bit at certain speeds.

Your steering stabilizer has nothing to do with vibes, if anything it'll mask death- wobble if you have worn components in your steering. You want all the bushings and TREs to be in top condition to give you a vibration free ride.

Yes it only vibrates above 60 and I wouldn't be sure if its death wobble or not but by what I've seen its nowhere near as violent as death wobble.

I am going to take it to get it realigned since my steering wheel is a little bit off and it pulls a little to the right so I'll tell them to go ahead and balance my tires again just to play it safe.

The time now is 02:16 AM.