GPS / Radar detector doesn't work in ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > GPS / Radar detector doesn't work in ZJ?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

GPS / Radar detector doesn't work in ZJ?

I have a '96 Laredo 4x4. There is apparently something in the vehicle causing interference with GPS reception and radar reception. If I plug either device into the power outlet with the key off/engine off, they work normally. The Garmin GPS will pick up 3-7 satellites, depending on time of day. Turning the key back to "Aux", (with the engine, radio, and fan off) causes all satellites to drop immediately. ZERO reception. Turning the key off lets the Garmin re-acquire satellites. Same when driving. I've left the GPS on for hours when I'm driving around, and it won't acquire any satellites.

It's not just the Garmin either. Navigation with my iPhone is severely wonky in the Jeep, and my Valentine One has never sounded (not once) in the Jeep.

These devices all work normally in my BMW.

What could be causing this? Has anyone else had this problem?

SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOspeed View Post
I have a '96 Laredo 4x4. There is apparently something in the vehicle causing interference with GPS reception and radar reception. If I plug either device into the power outlet with the key off/engine off, they work normally. The Garmin GPS will pick up 3-7 satellites, depending on time of day. Turning the key back to "Aux", (with the engine, radio, and fan off) causes all satellites to drop immediately. ZERO reception. Turning the key off lets the Garmin re-acquire satellites. Same when driving. I've left the GPS on for hours when I'm driving around, and it won't acquire any satellites.

It's not just the Garmin either. Navigation with my iPhone is severely wonky in the Jeep, and my Valentine One has never sounded (not once) in the Jeep.

These devices all work normally in my BMW.

What could be causing this? Has anyone else had this problem?
My valentine one works amazingly in my 96 and 97. Is there anything "aftermarket" in the ZJ? As in any other antennas?
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

The only thing aftermarket (to my knowledge) is the radio, and the problem is the same with it turned on or off. Maybe I should yank it out entirely...
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
The only thing aftermarket (to my knowledge) is the radio, and the problem is the same with it turned on or off. Maybe I should yank it out entirely...
I have a aftermarket radio in my 96. Still works. Something might not be wired right?
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

That's weird. Our Garmin eTrex Vista HCx works Perfectly in both our ZJ and XJ. Something HAS to be wired wrong. Does it work when NOT plugged in(Just using its Batteries...)
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Is there tint on the Jeep?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Is there tint on the Jeep?
Only the factory tint on the rear windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
That's weird. Our Garmin eTrex Vista HCx works Perfectly in both our ZJ and XJ. Something HAS to be wired wrong. Does it work when NOT plugged in(Just using its Batteries...)
My GPS doesn't have batteries. The iPhone does not work properly in the Jeep, though.
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Then there is faulty wiring somewhere in the power socket.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

Only the factory tint on the rear windows.

My GPS doesn't have batteries. The iPhone does not work properly in the Jeep, though.
So your GPS don't have batteries and it's from Garmin. What model? Also, with anything plugged in and the key Off the socket shouldn't have power. Thus my thought on batteries.

As for the iPhone issues, Try getting an android phone. It'll Prolly work better for you :P

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #10
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

We have two 96's. No issues with our Garmin GPS or our Bel STI Driver.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

This is a strange one, and usually when strange things happen, it involves a bad ground somewhere.

Consider that you may have low voltage at the power receptacle with key on. The ground is shared with several other circuits that may be "stealing" the ground with the switch on causing the circuits inside the unit to malfunction.

I would start by checking to see if it does the same thing in the cigar lighter, then pull out the relay.
horn-power.jpg  
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
We have two 96's. No issues with our Garmin GPS or our Bel STI Driver.
That pretty much answers my question... It sounds like there's no design "feature" on the ZJ that should be interfering.

At any rate I think I've narrowed it down to the CD player, an "xoVision" deck that the PO put in. I found that my handheld ham radio also does not work when sitting in the front seats, and it goes ape**** if I hold it up next to the CD player. I'm going to pull the deck out of there entirely and see what happens.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

My iphone works in my jeep,it aint the damn phone
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

What Model of GPS do you have?
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
What Model of GPS do you have?
Streetpilot 2720. It's an oldie but it works well. I'm holding on to it because it's waterproof, and can therefore be used on the motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.