JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   GPS / Radar detector doesn't work in ZJ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/gps-radar-detector-doesnt-work-zj-1533680/)

SLOspeed 06-07-2013 09:29 PM

GPS / Radar detector doesn't work in ZJ?

I have a '96 Laredo 4x4. There is apparently something in the vehicle causing interference with GPS reception and radar reception. If I plug either device into the power outlet with the key off/engine off, they work normally. The Garmin GPS will pick up 3-7 satellites, depending on time of day. Turning the key back to "Aux", (with the engine, radio, and fan off) causes all satellites to drop immediately. ZERO reception. Turning the key off lets the Garmin re-acquire satellites. Same when driving. I've left the GPS on for hours when I'm driving around, and it won't acquire any satellites.

It's not just the Garmin either. Navigation with my iPhone is severely wonky in the Jeep, and my Valentine One has never sounded (not once) in the Jeep.

These devices all work normally in my BMW.

What could be causing this? Has anyone else had this problem?

Scopez 06-07-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLOspeed (Post 15534018)
I have a '96 Laredo 4x4. There is apparently something in the vehicle causing interference with GPS reception and radar reception. If I plug either device into the power outlet with the key off/engine off, they work normally. The Garmin GPS will pick up 3-7 satellites, depending on time of day. Turning the key back to "Aux", (with the engine, radio, and fan off) causes all satellites to drop immediately. ZERO reception. Turning the key off lets the Garmin re-acquire satellites. Same when driving. I've left the GPS on for hours when I'm driving around, and it won't acquire any satellites.

It's not just the Garmin either. Navigation with my iPhone is severely wonky in the Jeep, and my Valentine One has never sounded (not once) in the Jeep.

These devices all work normally in my BMW.

What could be causing this? Has anyone else had this problem?

My valentine one works amazingly in my 96 and 97. Is there anything "aftermarket" in the ZJ? As in any other antennas?

SLOspeed 06-07-2013 09:45 PM

The only thing aftermarket (to my knowledge) is the radio, and the problem is the same with it turned on or off. Maybe I should yank it out entirely...

Scopez 06-07-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLOspeed (Post 15534083)
The only thing aftermarket (to my knowledge) is the radio, and the problem is the same with it turned on or off. Maybe I should yank it out entirely...

I have a aftermarket radio in my 96. Still works. Something might not be wired right?

eagsc7 06-07-2013 11:04 PM

That's weird. Our Garmin eTrex Vista HCx works Perfectly in both our ZJ and XJ. Something HAS to be wired wrong. Does it work when NOT plugged in(Just using its Batteries...)

WhiteOut 06-07-2013 11:26 PM

Is there tint on the Jeep?

SLOspeed 06-07-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 15534317)
Is there tint on the Jeep?

Only the factory tint on the rear windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagsc7 (Post 15534278)
That's weird. Our Garmin eTrex Vista HCx works Perfectly in both our ZJ and XJ. Something HAS to be wired wrong. Does it work when NOT plugged in(Just using its Batteries...)

My GPS doesn't have batteries. The iPhone does not work properly in the Jeep, though.

WhiteOut 06-07-2013 11:38 PM

Then there is faulty wiring somewhere in the power socket.

eagsc7 06-08-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLOspeed (Post 15534331)

Only the factory tint on the rear windows.

My GPS doesn't have batteries. The iPhone does not work properly in the Jeep, though.

So your GPS don't have batteries and it's from Garmin. What model? Also, with anything plugged in and the key Off the socket shouldn't have power. Thus my thought on batteries.

As for the iPhone issues, Try getting an android phone. It'll Prolly work better for you :P

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App

MeanGreenZJ 06-08-2013 05:17 AM

We have two 96's. No issues with our Garmin GPS or our Bel STI Driver.

ZeeJay1997 06-08-2013 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a strange one, and usually when strange things happen, it involves a bad ground somewhere.

Consider that you may have low voltage at the power receptacle with key on. The ground is shared with several other circuits that may be "stealing" the ground with the switch on causing the circuits inside the unit to malfunction.

I would start by checking to see if it does the same thing in the cigar lighter, then pull out the relay.

SLOspeed 06-09-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ (Post 15534591)
We have two 96's. No issues with our Garmin GPS or our Bel STI Driver.

That pretty much answers my question... It sounds like there's no design "feature" on the ZJ that should be interfering.

At any rate I think I've narrowed it down to the CD player, an "xoVision" deck that the PO put in. I found that my handheld ham radio also does not work when sitting in the front seats, and it goes ape**** if I hold it up next to the CD player. I'm going to pull the deck out of there entirely and see what happens.

dusterdude 06-09-2013 06:15 PM

My iphone works in my jeep,it aint the damn phone

eagsc7 06-09-2013 06:44 PM

What Model of GPS do you have?

SLOspeed 06-09-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagsc7 (Post 15540241)
What Model of GPS do you have?

Streetpilot 2720. It's an oldie but it works well. I'm holding on to it because it's waterproof, and can therefore be used on the motorcycle.

The time now is 10:52 AM.