Got a new starter... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got a new starter...

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Got a new starter...

And it killed my harmonic dampener.

First, the starter story:
From Rockauto.com for $75. Brand new and no core charge. Jeep was cranking a little slow sometimes and then the other day I came out from driving to the store to be met with just a "CLICK" when I turned the key. After about 8 more tries it fired up and had been O.K. (it was starting) for the past few days but I knew it's days were numbered.
When I hit the key on this new starter it cranked as if I had 2 batteries! Those old contacts were definitely causing alot of resistance.

3 days later:
The jeep all of a sudden develops a bad vibration at 1500 rpm. A quick search revealed this is a common sign of a failed dampener especially on a high mileage engine (149k). I had no check engine light so therefore no engine miss and all the mounts are pretty new.
I believe the hard hitting new starter provided the final death blow to a failing dampener.

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

I'm about to buy a new starter myself. It takes a second for mine to start, and the other day I has to get underneath the jeep and bang on the starter with a wrench for a sec. Hasn't given me trouble since, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

I got mine from Oreillys. It was something like 60$ plus a core, and a lifetime warranty.

Before getting one, clean the connections (probably covered in oil) and test the battery.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I had replaced mine because my oil leak was getting in my solenoid and when I got cold out it would do nothing no click nothing until I jumped the starter and it start overtime until it sat in the cold again.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.