Got my lift on and now looking to improve ride - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got my lift on and now looking to improve ride

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #16
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

After spending a lot of time looking at different things, I think i'm going to end up getting a pair of RE springs and a set of Bilstein 5100. From what I've heard about them and for $59.99 a shock with their buy 3 get 4th free deal, it seems too good to pass up.
My new ? is, If they will solve my ride problem, which one should I get first. Cash won't allow me to get both now. Which one will help the most now? Shocks or Springs?

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #17
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

I think Kolak has the MX6 shocks on sale, you could then adjust the ride to where ever you like it. It would suck to buy more shocks to still have a stiff ride. Try the adjustables.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

does kolak have a website? I've tried google searches before and couldn't find one

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

It is under construction, email him at Kolak@aol.com and tell him you are from JF.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

They don't make an MX-6 shock for 3.5" lift, stick with the Bilsteins or ask Kolak about the RE Monotubes.
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #21
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Didn't you just get new shocks? If I were you I would start with the springs and see how that feels. As far as shocks go, if you love off roading then you might want to research shock lengths. I had my heart set on the MX6's until I found out that they're a lot shorter than my RE monotubes.

I'm glad I researched this because my rear shocks allow 3 1/4" of droop and 6 3/4" of compression. If they were shorter I would not be happy. My front shocks have 11" of travel but I haven't taken those shock boots off yet so I don't know where they sit in relation to droop/compression.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

They have them for a 3" lift, 1/2" wouldn't really make any noticable difference. Or just add the bar pin eliminator to get the 1/2" added.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ-Orvis View Post
Didn't you just get new shocks? If I were you I would start with the springs and see how that feels. As far as shocks go, if you love off roading then you might want to research shock lengths. I had my heart set on the MX6's until I found out that they're a lot shorter than my RE monotubes.

I'm glad I researched this because my rear shocks allow 3 1/4" of droop and 6 3/4" of compression. If they were shorter I would not be happy. My front shocks have 11" of travel but I haven't taken those shock boots off yet so I don't know where they sit in relation to droop/compression.
Dude, he has the RC shocks that come with the 3.5" F>R swap kit from IRO, they are notorious for being very stiff. Rear springs should also be done at the same time though to help solve the jittery rear end & vibrations plus ride even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
They have them for a 3" lift, 1/2" wouldn't really make any noticable difference. Or just add the bar pin eliminator to get the 1/2" added.
OP should measure hub to fender to see what the actual lift is. It seems a lot of 3.5" kits are really 4", RE springs for sure, so MX-6 or any shock designed for 3" lift would not ride like they should if you're really at 4".
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #24
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

I figured that since they were new, he should give them a chance at least.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I should have notes the h2f the first time I talked about shocks. Idk about h2f but ground2f is 36" give or take a few cm

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #26
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

i would do the spring first dude.

if that doesnt solve it, then it likely would be the shocks.

check your front tie rods and your ball joints. i know i get a dead spot after hitting a bump and it drives me nuts.

i have bils on my ZJ and i love them. a great shock, i got them off of CL for super cheap used. but still very good...good luck getting the ZJ back to where you want.

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
-Joseph
1995 ZJ 

I just did the IRO 3.5" lift with new rear springs about 2 weeks ago and my first impressions were a little sketchy like yours. Rides a little rough, but I knew that the new springs would do that. Bumpsteer was real bad until I got it aligned, now it's barely noticeable. The biggest thing is that I went out this weekend and run it in the dunes pretty good to see how stuff holds up and now its on-road manners have improved. I don't know if the springs settled or "broke-in" if there is such a thing but it feels a lot better after a thrashing. Doesn't seem as jittery or tippy, maybe it's just me. IMO though new springs are not going to make it ride better than used front springs, I would try thrashing it a little and go from there. As for the DW, I too vote for bad tie-rod ends and or ball joints. Good luck.

-Joseph
Fauxmaster Muffler
30" BFG AT's wrapped around AR 767 wheels
-Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joseph View Post
I just did the IRO 3.5" lift with new rear springs about 2 weeks ago and my first impressions were a little sketchy like yours. Rides a little rough, but I knew that the new springs would do that. Bumpsteer was real bad until I got it aligned, now it's barely noticeable. The biggest thing is that I went out this weekend and run it in the dunes pretty good to see how stuff holds up and now its on-road manners have improved. I don't know if the springs settled or "broke-in" if there is such a thing but it feels a lot better after a thrashing. Doesn't seem as jittery or tippy, maybe it's just me. IMO though new springs are not going to make it ride better than used front springs, I would try thrashing it a little and go from there. As for the DW, I too vote for bad tie-rod ends and or ball joints. Good luck.

-Joseph
the only thing is the spring rate for the fronts. Aren't they a lot tougher to compress than rears?

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #29
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I got a pair of rear RE springs and got them in. They are awesome compared to the stocks. My ride is still rough because of the shocks, but I can live with it for now.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.