Got my lift on and now looking to improve ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got my lift on and now looking to improve ride

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Got my lift on and now looking to improve ride

I got my IRO lift on with the RC shocks they sent. I've been driving my jeep for almost a week now and Its terrible with ride quality. So I have a couple of questions.

1) If I want an immediate improvement in ride quality, what would be more important to get? New Control arms or better shocks? Keep in mind, I doubt it's ever going to be lifted any more than it is now.

2) If control arms are the answer, what control arms are most important first. I'm on a budget right now and can only get the most important arms now. LF, UF, LR, UR?

3) If shocks are the answer, what shocks should I get? I've spent about an hour searching through the threads and have gotten, "Get Monotubes...cuz...uhh...they're kick ***....yeeaaa." Give me at least one reason that I could relate to. I'm mostly driving my jeep on roads that have bumps. I would rather put up with a worse ride on the trails for a better ride on the streets. My jeep isn't under and heavy loads. Everythings stock (No metal bumpers, racks, or oversized spare in the back.

4) If there is anything else besides the control arms or shocks, input will help.

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Art101
2001 XJ Cherokee 

whats wrong with the ride quality... just saying that it sucks doesnt tell us much

is it to stiff?

are you all over the road?

do you get death wobble symptoms?
Art101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

You are going to have the sacrefice some ride quailty when you go up in height.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

It is really stiff. I know that the lift will cause the ride quality to become fairly crappy, but this just doesn't seem right. I'm not all over the road. I had that and fixed it. I get death wobble vibes. I haven't had death wobble with everything connected and tight, but right now, I go over a bump and it feels like death wobble is breathing on my neck. I haven't taken my jeep on the highway because I would bet money it would happen. I drive over a couple speed bumps on the way to my gf's house. They aren't the bolt in, high, skinny ones. They are about 3 inches high and six inches wide. My front goes over it and it's rough, but the rear end goes over it and it feels like It gets a little air time, like there isn't enough weight in the back to push down the rear enough.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Those springs were designed to carry an engine and now they're not, that is why they are stiff. Monotubes are stiff so don't run out and buy those. I don't think buying control arms is going to solve your problems either. I vote for buying Rubicon Express 3.5" rear springs because they are the softest on the market in that size if I'm not mistaken.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I was thinking about getting new springs eventually because mine were a little saggy. I was thinking about throwing a little weight in the back but wouldn't that just make them sag more? I just read that the new degrees that the stock arms are at make a big difference with ride quality.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk108 View Post
I was thinking about getting new springs eventually because mine were a little saggy. I was thinking about throwing a little weight in the back but wouldn't that just make them sag more? I just read that the new degrees that the stock arms are at make a big difference with ride quality.
Yes a little bit, but mostly in the front. New control arms will do almost nothing for the rear. New lower control arms are about 1/2" to 1 1/2" longer which does not really change the angle much.

Are you unhappy with all of it or mostly the rear?
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Only the rear. I thought about it more and now I'm thinking it's more the springs than anything. The front is about what I expected just a tiny bit rougher. I didn't think about the spring rate when I thought about the f>r. It just feels like I lose control in the rear because the jeep is so rough in the back. I'm going to drive it in a lil and it'll refresh me on the ride

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Only the rear. I thought about it more and now I'm thinking it's more the springs than anything. The front is about what I expected just a tiny bit rougher. I didn't think about the spring rate when I thought about the f>r. It just feels like I lose control in the rear because the jeep is so rough in the back. I'm going to drive it in a lil and it'll refresh me on the ride
Get proper springs for the rear for starters, then get some Bilsteins (budget permitting) or RE Montubes for a ride quality closer to stock.
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ-Orvis View Post
Those springs were designed to carry an engine and now they're not, that is why they are stiff. Monotubes are stiff so don't run out and buy those. I don't think buying control arms is going to solve your problems either. I vote for buying Rubicon Express 3.5" rear springs because they are the softest on the market in that size if I'm not mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
Get proper springs for the rear for starters, then get some Bilsteins (budget permitting) or RE Montubes for a ride quality closer to stock.
These are the different opinions i've been seeing. Some people say that monotubes are too stiff and some say the ride quality is awesome.

Anyway, I just got back from my short drive to take my gf home and had the beginnings of death wobble. I've only had death wobble in the case of everyone on the road moving far away from me, so it could have been minor dw. What i noticed is that all wobble/vibration comes when I go over a bump with the rear. It's a little vibration in the front, which i expected, but when the rear goes over, its a little wobbly and freaky. idk if this is just from the ride being so rough or if there is a different problem that would also be contributing to the bad ride.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Just looked up the re springs. If I can zero in the problem to being the springs, i guess i know what i'm spending my tax return on. and so continues the never-ending puzzle of the ideal lift. Wouldn't the world be such a good place if lifts were always perfect and you could get the best of everything?

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
These are the different opinions i've been seeing. Some people say that monotubes are too stiff and some say the ride quality is awesome.

Anyway, I just got back from my short drive to take my gf home and had the beginnings of death wobble. I've only had death wobble in the case of everyone on the road moving far away from me, so it could have been minor dw. What i noticed is that all wobble/vibration comes when I go over a bump with the rear. It's a little vibration in the front, which i expected, but when the rear goes over, its a little wobbly and freaky. idk if this is just from the ride being so rough or if there is a different problem that would also be contributing to the bad ride.
Re-torque all suspension related components out back (track bar, shocks, control arms) first.

The RE Monotubes are one of the better riding Monotubes out there but are also great offroad with lots of flex/droop and don't cost an arm & a leg Great bang for your buck. I second the vote for RE springs for the rear as well.
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I just retightened everything on saturday, so i'm pretty sure it's not from loose bolts or components. One thing i did forget to check for was shot bushings. I'll get under tomorrow and try to eyeball those. I do have a feeling it's mainly the springs because everything is tight and i don't have the problem in the front.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
NYC_ZJ
Jeep for LIFE!!

1996 ZJ 

i also have a stiff rear spring feeling and if i put weight in the back (home depot trip or weekend luggage, even 2 people in the back seat) it does make the jeep much less jittery over bumps. I was also looking into new shocks to replace mine to get a better ride and the more i search the more confused i get. I've narrowed down all of the opions to either Bilstein's or MX-6's. But they're expensive so we'll see. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Oh, i've noticed that ALMOST all my DW is is gone is if i keep it in full time 4WD.
ZJs Only club member #58
NYC_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I only have fulltime 4wd and 4 lo. I was getting bad vibrations over bumps. I spent an afternoon going over all suspension and steering parts....nothing new. Yesterday I was driving and saw my 4wd selector was pushed back almost to N. I pushed it all the way forward and no more rattling or bad vibes...from the front

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.