Got my intake manifold off.. but i have questions.. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got my intake manifold off.. but i have questions..

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Rant on for ??

Anyway its all together now.. all bolts and plugs where they should be.... Gosh my wrists hurt .... ow... 10 hours this took me and i skipped doing my valve cover gaskets and fixing the o ring on my power steering reservoir... uhg another day for that.. lol but alot of it was talking to neighbors and driving to the store to get things i didnt think id need. Oil is drained im gonna fill it up with some cheapo oil... but as for the coolant.. I dont think I'll fill that up until tomorrow.. I think i'll wait overnight for the rtv...... Gosh I hope i put this thing on right and i dont have any coolant leaks or something... I'll be pissed if i have to take it all apart again.. !!!

Fyi ratmonkey i didnt use rtv on the intake jackets.. I used it on the front water jackets and the rear ones.. there are 4 total.. and i only used a small amount. like a thin layer

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

FWIW chlorinated brake clean is totally safe as an engine solvent with one catch.....NEVER COMBUST THE STUFF.

That's why it's brake clean, not engine clean. Turns into the equivalent of nerve gas once run through a firing cylinder. Or a shop heater

But just cleaning parts on the bench, etc. Or spraying the back of valves with 24 hours dry time and no intake manifold. Those kinds of things are totally safe.

IMO it's actually superior to carb cleaner for cleaning a carb that's in your hands.

total sidetrack of the thread, glad the project has gone well and good luck with the truck!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I didnt bother cleaning the valves with the brake cleaner.. I was using the weaver stuff thats non clorinated. People said not too early on so i didnt.. I probly should have and just sucked the gunk up with my shop vac.. they were pretty grimy...

Anyway I'll report back tomorrow morning... hopefully i installed the sucker right and it wont leak ... God i would be so angry at myself.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Don't worry. They are in the motor now.
If they did it would be "rant on".
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Oh lol no i found all my tools and sockets.. I made sure not to put any near the engine.. I just couldnt find all of them with the mess of wrappers boxes and dirty towels all over the place
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #21
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

question guys.. I just filled up the radiator as best i could, squeezed the upper hose a million times to try to get air out of the system and kept filling it up as needed.. but i cant squeeze anymore out so i turned the engine on and filled it up as needed... but i noticed the rear of the rear facing the fire wall starting to smoke after only like 20 seconds being on.. Not sure what that is... So i turned it off and let it sit for a second and ten rinsed it off with a waterhose...

So i filled the jeep up a little more backed it up and turned it around so the engine is facing up hill and let it idle for like 3-4 minutes.. The temp gauge in the car got to 175f before i noticed the exhaust manifold/head in the back smoking again and smelling like crap.. So i turned it off and used my thermal prob on the exhaust manifold and its about 200f the head tho a tad above the block was 220-230f.. I felt the valve covers and they are pretty warm...

So aparently maybe coolant isnt in the block/manifold yet ? Or maybe im being paranoid ? What should I do ? Just let it keep running or ?? I know the manifold can get like 400-500f when idling as i played with my thermal prob in the past but the heads themselves seem to be getting awfully warm
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

That kind of smoking is normal after large engine service.

You're being kind of paranoid about bleeding the cooling system, it's nowhere near as hard as some people make it seem. Put the cap on and drive it 5 minutes, once it cools down top it off and move on.

The reason I say this is you filled it, so if there is an air bubble and you're idling with the cap off, gonna be a big mess. When the air bubble passes it's going to raise the radiator level 6 inches, for a moment. So cap it and take a short drive.

good luck
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea im being paranoid this kinda job tho wasnt exactly hard for me to do, just time consuming (expensive $300+ for tools ect) but it was more nerv racking then anything i've done tho, way more then the timing cover gasket and waterpump, and more then the viscous coupler, and the axle shafts.... I couldnt sleep last night thinking about it lol..

Anyway, i got it filled up now the reason i leave the cap open is because once the thermostat opens usually all the air or most of it is pushed into the radiator so it drops the level quickly and i just fill it up.. Anyway, i took for a 5-10 min drive through the neighborhood going easy on it and it drives fine... Oil pressure is at 30psi like it always is, temps didnt go above 200f, and the cheapo oil is honey colored not milky color. So, so far i guess it looks like i installed the intake correctly..

One thing i did notice imediatly tho was my engine no longer taps/clanks at idle and driving it feels much smoother.. but maybe im just imagining that..

Should i retorque the manifold bolts after its cooled off ? I heard checking them afterwords is best ? I did use rtv on the bolts so i dont think they came lose but who knows
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well i have to report i heard it pinging again twice today.. i deff heard it when i went on the freeway and went wot it was pinging, but then later for a second or two.. But for the most of the day and i have been driving for like 3 hours today it hasnt pinged no matter where my foot is on the gas pedal.. But my question is why is it still pinging sometimes ?? Will this go away eventually or ??

I looked inside the throttlebody and the plate is clean and dry as a bone, but i noticed the manifold walls are shiny again like they are wet. The gasket on the right side is dry and the gasket on the left side where the pcv valve is dry as well except its wet when it comes in contact with the wall of the manifold..... Soooo what is this ?? Could it be the PCV valve ?? I took it off cleaned with some cleaner and put it back on and when i checked it again the top end where the rubber hose connects too is wet with oil.. So.. Perhaps i should also look into buying a catch can ???

The gasket cant be leaking again.. no way lol.. i torqued it in the correct sequence bolts all the bolts to 48 inch lbs starting from bolt 1 to 15. Then i torqued them to 84 inch lbs just like the TSB says and i double checked it
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Well i have to report i heard it pinging again twice today.. i deff heard it when i went on the freeway and went wot it was pinging, but then later for a second or two.. But for the most of the day and i have been driving for like 3 hours today it hasnt pinged no matter where my foot is on the gas pedal.. But my question is why is it still pinging sometimes ?? Will this go away eventually or ??

I looked inside the throttlebody and the plate is clean and dry as a bone, but i noticed the manifold walls are shiny again like they are wet. The gasket on the right side is dry and the gasket on the left side where the pcv valve is dry as well except its wet when it comes in contact with the wall of the manifold..... Soooo what is this ?? Could it be the PCV valve ?? I took it off cleaned with some cleaner and put it back on and when i checked it again the top end where the rubber hose connects too is wet with oil.. So.. Perhaps i should also look into buying a catch can ???

The gasket cant be leaking again.. no way lol.. i torqued it in the correct sequence bolts all the bolts to 48 inch lbs starting from bolt 1 to 15. Then i torqued them to 84 inch lbs just like the TSB says and i double checked it
There is still a bunch of crud in there left over. Run some seafoam through the brake booster and the gas tank. Mine was like that too.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

But why are the intake walls shiny again and why is the gasket on the pcv side wet where it touches the manifold.. (the rest of it is dry) Its wet along the whole strethc on the pcv side at least as far as i can see.. So it cant be a leak along the whole side perhaps its just the pcv leaking onto the gasket.. But anyway is it wet from the blowby on the pcv ? The pcv as i said the hose is oily and the top of the pcv is oily.. So maybe i should get a catch can from online or something.

I really hate seafoam... That stuff for somereason makes my engine clank loud when i turn it on but only for a split second.. but its a horrible sound..

But I guess I have a bottle inside somewhere ill use some of it
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

On my 95 the crankcase vents into the intake manifold right in the middle, so there's always going to be a sheen of oil.
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I had blow by from the PVC as well. I made an oil catch can to solve that issue. Here are a couple pics of the unfinished catch. I made a heat shield for it and used better fasteners. I also stuffed copper scrubbies in the catch. I would say that it's maybe a quarter the way full after 7 months.
picture-14.jpg   picture-12.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well i used seafoam against my better judgement after 1/3 or 1/2 of the can i turned it off and waited 5 min and cranked it a few times and then turned it on and it made 2 loud CLANK/POPS in the engine... freaked me out.. Yea i dont think im ever going to use that stuff again.. My engine always clanks like loud metal smacking on metal sounds when i use that... But a nice blue cloud of smoke was coming out of my tailpipe for a minute or two.. I tried driving it but if i stepped on the gas to get to like 2k rpm the engine was clanking like a deisel seafoam... SUCKS.. lol But it went away after a minute or so and so i took it on the parkway and went WOT like 4-5 times up to 80mph and it didnt make anymore noises... Nore it did make any on the way back home or at idle...

I dunno why my engine does that when i use seafoam.. I didnt even use that much either.. Maybe its the oil is melting off my intake valve's and pistons thats blowing up in the cylinders.. ? But i guess it musta helped some because the neighborhood instead of being filled with white smoke like you see in the videos was filled with blue smoke.. lol Do you have any idea why my engine sounds like its exploding when i use seafoam.. Like i cant describe the sound its just horrible.. instead of predonation its like detonation a loud POW ! cept its a metal sound. I do believe the mopar combustion cleaner did the same thing... I just aint using any of that **** anymore lol

Anyway Im tired.. Im just gonna drive the damn thing and not worry about it anymore.. I' guess ill see after 1500-3000k miles if the oil level has gone down again like it used too
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #30
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Well i used seafoam against my better judgement after 1/3 or 1/2 of the can i turned it off and waited 5 min and cranked it a few times and then turned it on and it made 2 loud CLANK/POPS in the engine... freaked me out.. Yea i dont think im ever going to use that stuff again.. My engine always clanks like loud metal smacking on metal sounds when i use that... But a nice blue cloud of smoke was coming out of my tailpipe for a minute or two.. I tried driving it but if i stepped on the gas to get to like 2k rpm the engine was clanking like a deisel seafoam... SUCKS.. lol But it went away after a minute or so and so i took it on the parkway and went WOT like 4-5 times up to 80mph and it didnt make anymore noises... Nore it did make any on the way back home or at idle...

I dunno why my engine does that when i use seafoam.. I didnt even use that much either.. Maybe its the oil is melting off my intake valve's and pistons thats blowing up in the cylinders.. ? But i guess it musta helped some because the neighborhood instead of being filled with white smoke like you see in the videos was filled with blue smoke.. lol Do you have any idea why my engine sounds like its exploding when i use seafoam.. Like i cant describe the sound its just horrible.. instead of predonation its like detonation a loud POW ! cept its a metal sound. I do believe the mopar combustion cleaner did the same thing... I just aint using any of that **** anymore lol

Anyway Im tired.. Im just gonna drive the damn thing and not worry about it anymore.. I' guess ill see after 1500-3000k miles if the oil level has gone down again like it used too
the noise is normal. you're partially hydrolocking the engine when you use seafoam.

your valves are pretty dirty, you most likely have some pretty bad carbon build up in the cylinders. instead of seafoam, try water misting to clean them out a bit. but it bet they're pretty far gone and you need a head cleaning and valve job.

as for the oil sheen. if you don't have a catch can on your pcv line you'll always have oil getting in. i've used the clear 3/8" in/out inline fuel filters for that before. but an air/water filter/regulator/separator works much better.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.