Got a little hitch in my getty-up (tranny is searching between 2nd & 3rd) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got a little hitch in my getty-up (tranny is searching between 2nd & 3rd)

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

Got a little hitch in my getty-up (tranny is searching between 2nd & 3rd)

Well let me start off with saying that I used the search, but couldnt find anything that exactly describes my problem. Now for the basics- I bought the Jeep a couple months ago from a co-worker of mine, it sat for 9 months and never got touched let alone started before I did. After taking it to the carwash I changed out the battery, a complete tune-up (plugs,cap,rotor,wires, air filter, fuel filter, tranny filter and fluid,diffs,etc.) After all this it ran great,getting fairly good mileage (16-17 mpg) and everything was kosher.

Last Sunday I decided to do a flush since I had put 500 miles on it and figured it needed it. I bought a can of Seafoam and put a 1/3 in the oil,1/3 in the gas tank,and the rest down the intake. While doing this I checked the tranny fluid again and noticed it had turned dark again and smelled a little burnt. So I figured I didnt get all the crap out when I changed it so I took it too a shop and had them power flush it. They said the fluid was "OK" but they has seen better.

All was good on the drive to work Monday but on the way home is when it started acting funny. When I roll onto the throttle it shifts fine from 1st to 2nd, but then it "searches" for 3rd for a few seconds. It isnt slipping (RPM's arent spiking) it just kinda bounes back and forth. Now if I get on it, it shifts nice and firm and all is well. It is only when I barely get on it and it doesnt matter if the tranny is cold or hot.

I checked and have no codes, checked for vacuum leaks and found none,adjusted my TV cable but didnt seem to help (though I do think it needs replaced anyways), checked my airbox and filter and found nothing.

So, do you think it is possible that the high pressure flush could have broken a sensor or broke something internally? The tranny just hit 120,000 miles and other then this problem it runs fine. I had my Wife take a drive in it last night and she didnt seem to notice it as bad as me, so I may be playing it up a little in my head, but it is doing it.

So Jeep guru's, please school me on what this might possibly be.Thanks!

TJsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

And forgot too add, that I do have an exhaust leak, but not a major one. It is right where the collector meets the down pipe. And If I'm correct this tranny doesnt sense vacuum right? So an exhaust leak shouldnt have any effect on shifting or down-shifting?

Again, just trying to make sure I include every detail too help with the diagnosis.

Thanks!
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

Anyone have any ideas? Was planning on taking it on another camping trip but am worried about the drive there and back (4+ hours). Just dont want me and the family getting stranded in the middle of nowhere Nebraska
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Got any idea what kind of fluid the shop used?
Did 94s have the 42RE?
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how many miles are on it?
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

no, it's a 32rh or 30 rh in 94

And the searching is due to crap in the valve body. Drop the pan and VB, spilt the VB, clean sparkly clean with brakeclean, and install the Transgo shift reprogram kit. Then adjust bands when you reinstall.

It may well be toast... but if it is on the edge, this may give you a few more months (or years) and if it's just all crudded up, 'power flush' isn't gonna help. The valve body has tons of little passages that can oly be cleaned by removal, cleaning, and reinstall.

The Transgo shift reprogramming kit is the cheap one; it costs all of 25 buc ks or so, and fixes some factory design flaws. Witha couple drill bits, you can also modify shift firmness, but the max you can get with this one is pretty mild improvements. Cured my shifting issues on my 97 with the 32rh.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
harrys98zj
1998 ZJ 

My 98 ZJ was doin the same thing and a friend told me to put a can of "trans X" in the tranny, so I did, then I changed my crankcase oil. When I finished and started the jeep and took it down the road and guess what? My tranny shifted on the money every time! I couldn't believe it myself but was happy it worked for me. 2 weeks now and still doin good. I got the trans X at Murry's.
harrys98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Got any idea what kind of fluid the shop used?
Did 94s have the 42RE?
Synthetic ATF+4.

I dont know about 94's, I have a 1995 and yes it has the 42RE.
Unread 07-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
no, it's a 32rh or 30 rh in 94

And the searching is due to crap in the valve body. Drop the pan and VB, spilt the VB, clean sparkly clean with brakeclean, and install the Transgo shift reprogram kit. Then adjust bands when you reinstall.

It may well be toast... but if it is on the edge, this may give you a few more months (or years) and if it's just all crudded up, 'power flush' isn't gonna help. The valve body has tons of little passages that can oly be cleaned by removal, cleaning, and reinstall.

The Transgo shift reprogramming kit is the cheap one; it costs all of 25 buc ks or so, and fixes some factory design flaws. Witha couple drill bits, you can also modify shift firmness, but the max you can get with this one is pretty mild improvements. Cured my shifting issues on my 97 with the 32rh.

I pulled the valve body and cleaned it up when I changed the fluid and filter (I didnt do the shift kit) but that was before I had them powerflush it. Maybe it's possible the flush clogged the new filter or clogged up the Valve body.
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJsZJ View Post
Synthetic ATF+4.
change the fluid to non synthetic
Unread 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
TJsZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew383 View Post
change the fluid to non synthetic
Any particular reason why? I put in synthetic after I did the initial fliud and filter change and it was fine until the power flush. I've always changed out to synthetics and never had a problem, actually they have always run smoother and more efficient.

It is because the fluid is not as thick as regular ATF+4 and not biulding up enough pressure?
Unread 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Is this a grand or a wrangler?

Grands had the 4XrX trans

If it's a grand I would check the screen on the governor pressure solenoid. Might have been covered by debris after the flush.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJsZJ View Post
Any particular reason why? I put in synthetic after I did the initial fliud and filter change and it was fine until the power flush. I've always changed out to synthetics and never had a problem, actually they have always run smoother and more efficient.

It is because the fluid is not as thick as regular ATF+4 and not biulding up enough pressure?
its because your putting a syn oil in a trans that wasnt ment for it.The synthetic oil has more slip to it.When you go WOT the trans doesnt slip very much when shifting vs shifting at part throttle.If it were me id change it for reg ol' atf4
Unread 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

All ATF+4's are considered synthetic. Valvoline is the only company I've seen so far that has taken advantage of this fact to use a marketing ploy.

Even the lowly Wal-Mart Super Tech brand meets the spec set by Chrysler.
http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

The fluid is not the problem in this case, it is either mechanical or sensor related most likely due to the power flush. Check my suggestion above.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
fixitfirstime

Chrysler has clarified many times that the ATF +4 is a class three synthetic meaning that it is petroleum based but performs at a high level on SAE evaluations. It will mix with atf+2 and 3 with no problems. That is definitely not the problem here. I am wondering about your front clutch seals at high mileage though.

If you buy Mopar ATF +4 today it says synthetic on the bottle. It is the same stuff and the same mil spec (9602) it has carried since 2000.
fixitfirstime is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.