Got Juice & Good Starter, Still Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got Juice & Good Starter, Still Won't Start

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
bellisimo1

Got Juice & Good Starter, Still Won't Start

i have a 1999 4.7L that won't start. here's what i know:

when the key turns, it clicks once, right as the key is turned, and that's it.

the battery is newer, i charged it anyway for 48 hrs, tried jumping the jeep twice. the horn, radio etc. all work fine.

i pulled the starter and brought it to kragens. they bench tested it and it spun beautifully.

so, is this a computer thing, alarm or maybe fuse? i'm lost.

bellisimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

If it clicks that leads me to believe its the starter. I have seen starters spin but then not turn under load. is power getting to the starter? You need to get a meter and check for voltage. Another thing you can try is whacking the starter with a rubber matter or a piece of wood

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Any chance the brake interlock system is the issue?

Can you tell us whan it last ran and how it was then? Were you driving?

Miles? Major service peformed recently?

Do you have a way to verify that the engine is not siezed? (remote chance, right?)
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus View Post
If it clicks that leads me to believe its the starter. I have seen starters spin but then not turn under load. is power getting to the starter? You need to get a meter and check for voltage. Another thing you can try is whacking the starter with a rubber matter or a piece of wood
My vote. Usually if an interlock/alarm problem, the starter won't engage.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

the alram should not allow the relay to click though I would think.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
bellisimo1

i'm guessing the one click that i hear is the gear engaging with the flywheel, but then it must not have enough juice to turn. i am going to try cleaning the corrosion off the connecters and try again (fun). if that doesn't work, i'm not really sure what's next. i really hope it's not seized, although i have no idea why it would be.
Unread 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
JkTheItalianoWJ
2000 WJ 

my 2000 wj gave me problems starting every once in a while it was getting plenty of power and everything was fine workin radio, alarm, etc. mine would start most of the time but not start from time to time and i talked to a few people and they said maybe its your fuel pump but then i let it go for a little while and my check engine light came on and i had the code read and come to find out my cam shaft positioning sensor was bad, idk if that helps you out at all but i figured id give you another option to try out
JkTheItalianoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
bellisimo1

since i know you've all been losing sleep over this, i thought i'd give a quick update. i cleaned all the contact points for the starter with a wire brush to remove any corrosion, and then re-installed it. the damn thing worked! hope this helps some else in the future.
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

Could also be a bad/weak battery cell
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

check the voltage at the starter... starters need 10+ volts to engage the solenoid
as stated above bad battery ....
loose connection ....
dirty cable ends ... including the ones connected to the starter
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.