Good purchase? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Good purchase?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
JTWM0677
1994 ZJ 

Good purchase?

Picked up a 94 ZJ Limited for $1,100. Has 248,685 miles, I6 and 249 transfer case. Everything but the front seat and valve cover gasket is in excellent condition. It's never been off road. Oh, and the VIC flashes constantly.. Otherwise, it's an excellent running vehicle.. Did I make a good purchase?

Sent from my iPad Mini using JeepForum

JTWM0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWM0677 View Post
It's never been off road.
A Jeep with a quarter million miles never been off-road? That's a good one! All depends on the condition. I hope it has a whole new suspension and transmission and axles. The VC has to have been replaced by now. Can't really go wrong with a thousand bucks for a running vehicle though. Paid $850.00 for mine with 191,000

VIC is usually bad soldering on the back. Though you could have a bad coolant sensor I suppose.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
JTWM0677
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins
VIC is usually bad soldering on the back. Though you could have a bad coolant sensor I suppose.
The whole thing flashes, occasionally with the rear lights flashing as well.. Still let's me know when a door or the hatch is open, just can't set the time, or change what's displayed.. Only time it doesn't flash is about the first 5-10 seconds the ignition is on.. Can it be fixed? If so, how?

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

The rear lights flashing means one of your tail lights are out. Check all the bulbs back there, including the third brake light and license plate bulbs.

Sometimes they work, but a lot of the time they have to be re-soldered. The headlight switch commonly needs the soldering repaired as well.
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
JTWM0677
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
The rear lights flashing means one of your tail lights are out. Check all the bulbs back there, including the third brake light and license plate bulbs.
Already checked all the rear lights, all work perfectly, including the third brake light and license plate bulbs.. It doesn't always flash the rear lights, just intermittently. Is there a way to repair the VIC? Or will I have to buy a new one? I don't particularly want to replace it with a non 4x4 cubby, nor do I feel like paying what websites are asking for a replacement. I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron, so if there is a way to repair it, I'd rather go that route..

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Even the corner bulbs on the tail lights? Mine were both out when I bought it, didn't even realize they existed until I noticed the bulbs in there one day.

Check out this thread on how to repair it : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-fixed-175207/

Or just remove the dumb thing.
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
JTWM0677
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Even the corner bulbs on the tail lights? Mine were both out when I bought it, didn't even realize they existed until I noticed the bulbs in there one day. Check out this thread on how to repair it : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-fixed-175207/ Or just remove the dumb thing.
I will pull them tomorrow to check, but as I stated before, they don't blink in the VIC every time, just every now and again. Will the coolant sensor being bad cause the entire VIC to flash and be unresponsive?

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Not saying that there is a bad one, just suggesting that there could be one rogue bulb.

I've never actually had a digital VIC, but I read about VIC issues on here at least once a week usually resulting from faulty soldering. Coolant sensor is the most common issue, but it will usually say that on the unit. Your problem sounds like a soldering issue if it's flashing and giving you random intermittent messages.
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Did I make a good purchase?
If you like it, it was a good purchase

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
JTWM0677
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy
If you like it, it was a good purchase
I most definitely like it.. Wanted one for a long time..

Unread 01-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
If it was taken care of it should be good for another 40-50k. Probably more. 1000$-ish for a running vehicle isnt bad at all

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
JTWM0677
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987
If it was taken care of it should be good for another 40-50k. Probably more. 1000$-ish for a running vehicle isnt bad at all
Talked him down from $2,200

Sent from my iPad Mini using JeepForum.. From who knows where this time..
Unread 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Talked him down from $2,200

Sent from my iPad Mini using JeepForum.. From who knows where this time..
Yeah 2,200 would have been bad. I bought my 1995 V8 170k mi for $1900. The rear plastic bumper was cracked, minor oil leak (now fixed), minimal Wisconsin rust, needed new tires, had all original suspension but still drove well, (replaced when lifted) interior bulbs out all over the place, and a filthy interior. Its reaching 182k mi and still running strong with various fixes being done here and there! Wouldn't have it any other way!

Welcome to the Jeep community!
Unread 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

My VIC had a bad capacitor that made it flash then stop working completely. There aren't than many caps in there and it was obviously bad. I had a rogue tail light alarm that turned out to be a corroded factory wire splice in the left tail light harness. I also had an actually bad coolant level sensor recently.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

As long as you enjoy it, you made a good purchase. It's a bit pricey for that much mileage, but if it was well taken care of and in good condition, it's still a good price. like others said, it's pretty hard to find a vehicle now-a-days that cheap that actually runs good from the start. The VIC doesn't really do anything other than give you a bit of a heads up on how the vehicle stands, if a light burns out, if it starts running low on coolant, etc. If you want to retain that, there's dozens of great, highly detailed write ups you can find via searching "VIC solder fix". You may want to read through a couple of them before you get digging too deeply into it just to make sure you know what you're getting into. It's pretty simple stuff from what I've read up on, just reflowing some solder, adding fresh here and there, maybe going as far as replacing a capacitor(radioshack trip!). Just don't break the super flimsy plastic clips on it, unless you want to be using some super glue or duct tape haha! Best of luck with your purchase!

Welcome to the Jeep community! May you have much fun with it =]
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.