Go-Fast Trail Rig - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Go-Fast Trail Rig

TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATEFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRI

Unread 10-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Go-Fast Trail Rig

Picked up a 95 Orvis a few weeks ago.

Already had a RE long arm kit, ACOS Bumps, Bilstein 5125's, roof mounted rack with lights and an e-fan conversion.

Will be building it as an adventure rig, with a focus on go-fast and dirt roads.

Started like this the first day i brought it home.

jep1.jpg

Will_Beck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

First thing i did was remove the roof rack. Too much wind noise, and it just made the Jep look too tall.
jep2.jpg

Unread 10-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Apparently i bent the rear D35 beating on it out in Johnson's Valley for the MORE Night race...

Now it'll be getting an 8.8 from an Exploder with disks.
jep3.jpg   jep4.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Jeep is currently at Creative Fabworks getting a light bar/nerf bar built for the front, and mounting a pair of 2.5x10" SAW's. Searching for a matching set for the rear.
jep5.jpg   jep6.jpg   jep7.jpg   jep8.jpg   jep9.jpg  

jep10.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #5
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Nice. Are you concerned about the extra lights up front blocking the radiator?
Unread 10-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
I would. Two 8" Hella's mounted on my front bumper raised the temp 10 degrees.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Looks nice.

Are you planning on trussing both front and rear axles? If you plan on doing go-fast stuff, I would seriously consider trussing the axles. Also remember to weld the tubes on the F8.8 to the pumpkin, that is a weak spot on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I would. Two 8" Hella's mounted on my front bumper raised the temp 10 degrees.
Does it do that on all temps/ speeds, or just during hot summer days when wheeling/ slow traffic?

I have my winch tucked almost into the radiator, blocking airflow quite a lot, and I've never had the temp creep above 220* even when wheeling hard (WOT in deep snow or mud for extended time); 99% of the time it stays constant at just about any outside temps and driving speeds @ 212*F (just like it did as stock).

I'm just wondering, since I've seen this subject pop up fairly often. Is the niner e-fan system more effective at low speeds and low engine RPMs compared to viscous fan @ low RPMs? I do know viscous fan has better CFM rating at certain RPM levels compared to e-fan at high speed, but I've never seen any comparison between the system at lower RPMs under low speed..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Looks nice.

Are you planning on trussing both front and rear axles? If you plan on doing go-fast stuff, I would seriously consider trussing the axles. Also remember to weld the tubes on the F8.8 to the pumpkin, that is a weak spot on them.
Yep, tubes will be welded to the pumpkin, and I'm going to be using the artec kit for the truss and bracketry. For the price, you really can't beat it. When I get around to finding one, I'll have an HP30 trussed up for the front. The jeep is not a DD by any means, so I'll probably wait to install the 8.8 until I have the hp30 ready, and just reggae then. It has 32's now, and when I step up to 33's I'll put in 4.56's

In regards to cooling, I'll be putting in an aluminum radiator soon, as the jeep has 221k on the clock, and the stock radiator is likely a ticking time bomb. It has a pretty aggressive efan, so I'm honestly not worried about low speed airflow. I'll keep an eye on temps and see how it does. I was also considering taking a hole saw to the bumper to let air in there.

Timo, glad to read your comments on temp and airflow, it's nice to get some real world feedback on that vs web-wheeling opinion.
Unread 10-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Beck View Post
Yep, tubes will be welded to the pumpkin, and I'm going to be using the artec kit for the truss and bracketry. For the price, you really can't beat it. When I get around to finding one, I'll have an HP30 trussed up for the front. The jeep is not a DD by any means, so I'll probably wait to install the 8.8 until I have the hp30 ready, and just reggae then. It has 32's now, and when I step up to 33's I'll put in 4.56's
You might even want to consider 4.88s, depending on what you're looking for power- wise. Especially if this is not a DD, go with 4.88s and 33s. I have 32s on my niner with 4.56 gears, and I love it. I'm doing 80/20 street/ wheeling, and I can't complain with too high RPMs on the highway.

Quote:
It has a pretty aggressive efan, so I'm honestly not worried about low speed airflow. I'll keep an eye on temps and see how it does. I was also considering taking a hole saw to the bumper to let air in there.

Timo, glad to read your comments on temp and airflow, it's nice to get some real world feedback on that vs web-wheeling opinion.
I have 12 pieces of additional 2" diameter holes on my bumper lower plate to help with cooling, so that probably is helping quite a bit at low speeds. Do as much as you can to improve airflow, it never hurts

One reason for my operating temps staying good and steady is most likely due to local ambient temps. Even in the summer we very seldom exceed 80-85*F and usually hover at around 65-70*F; on the other hand even during winter @ teen temps or lower, wheeling in deep snow doing 1-5mph @ WOT for a few minutes straight will strain just about any cooling system. Airflow @ higher speeds in high ambient temps help a lot, even at highway- speed races on the desert.

That being said, I would make sure your cooling system is up to the job with the temps in SoCal. Good all- aluminum radiator and properly set-up e-fan system should do the job.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Did some small things today. Worked on a bracket for the rear dust/camp light, and we cycled the suspension to get bump placement and limit straps.

The shock will need a 90* fitting in order to tuck up where the factory shock was, so the hose guy is going to stop by the shop and see what he can do there. Hoping they'll be mounted by the end of the week.

33's tuck in nice
Unread 10-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Rear dust light bracket.

Unread 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Some cool details...

Unread 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

those decals are awesome.
care to share where you got them?
Unread 10-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
Will_Beck
1995 ZJ 

Here you are; just put in the notes when you order that you're 96+ and he'll correct the number of grille slots.

http://liberty-shirts.com/stickers/Jeep/index.html
Unread 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

smokin price for a cool item. always thought the easter eggs were a nice small touch on the wranglers.
great find. ordered my set

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.