glasspack muffler sound help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > glasspack muffler sound help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 11-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
97JGCOrvis
1997 ZJ 

glasspack muffler sound help

I have a 97 jeep grand Cherokee orvis with a 5.2 v8 its all wheel drive the when I drop it into reverse I hear a pretty audible rattling sound from the muffler and seeing as its stock I assume its shot. my question is here in ohio 0-35mph has a 70db limit and 79 for over 35.

my question is it likely my jeep which is basicly still all factory parts will exceeed the limit with a glasspack like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=279937_0_0_

im not specifically shooting for a louder sound just that its a cheap alternative and is technically legal in ohio I just have no idea what the sound will be any advice would be greatful

97JGCOrvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Please don't embarrass your V8 ZJ with a glass pack. Get a regular muffler. Magnaflow, Flowmaster and Thrush are good. It will sound better anyway.

Are you sure the rattling is the muffler and not the catalytic converter/heat shield/broken exhaust hanger/exhaust hitting the track bar?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Some good advice Jason and a V8 Orvis with running boards and a glasspack just doesn't sound (pun) right! Also agree on the rattling noises which often aren't the inside of the muffler coming apart.

It may be time to invest in a new exhaust if you're still running OE. You can use the below discount codes for knocking the prices down quite a bit. Split up the online orders and TRT41 is a good one ($40 off $100+) as is TRT37 ($30 off $75+).

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=4582125

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
97JGCOrvis
1997 ZJ 

im not trying to put a permanent setup on atm just trying to make it sound a little better as a temporary fix as im pretty broke in the last month and a half ive put on a new water pump, radiator, fan clutch, fuel pump and a few odds and ends ive bled over 1200 bucks getting it to run better I really don't have 50 bucks to spend even on a cheap regular muffler and if its the cat rattling im tempted to just take it off and run a straight pipe or gut the interior of the cat and put it back so its just a cat looking shell.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
97JGCOrvis
1997 ZJ 

being as broke as I am atm an 18dollar glasspack at my local muffler shop is a lot more doable than a 45 dollar dynomax(after the codes uniblurb provided) my orvis runs perfect smooth and clean it just sounds like im backing up a 1980s ford. I also believe there may be a leave in my muffler itself this morning it was cold enough to see the exhaust and it appeared as though some exhaust was coming from under my driver side rear door which is where my muffler sits
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If you're that broke why don't you go to a local jy/pick-n-pull and buy/remove a half-new looking muffler similar to OE? I'd be taking some measurements on your old one 1st and believe it would be a whole lot better than a $18 glass-pack. Sounds like you couldn't even get a used cat for what you're willing/able to spend since trade-in value for the metal may be higher. Not permitted to talk about gutting/removing cats here since it's against Fed regs. Think I'd just go for the muffler if you know/can feel where it's leaking while that's what's making the noise. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I would either hold off until you can get a new converter + muffler, or go to a junkyard and grab them as Uniblurb suggested. You won't like the obnoxious sound of a glass pack, and you're losing torque/back pressure if you delete the converter.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
97JGCOrvis
1997 ZJ 

yea I think im just gonna wait and suck it up and make do with the crappy rattling sound till I can get it new
thanks for the input guys
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ironrock offroad sells a nice full kit.

we all understand the broke as hell problem. none of us like to spend money on the rig that isn't cool mods.

but think of it this way; if you fix it, do it correctly.

the glasspack will sound similar to your jeep without a muffler. aka loud, obnoxious and not good.

for what its worth I run the IRO exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series. its loud as ****. to loud. and that's a LEGIT muffler. a glasspack would sound the same as no muffler; and a waste of 19$
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.