Was given a ZJ, but need help getting it going. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Was given a ZJ, but need help getting it going.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
adwmac6

Was given a ZJ, but need help getting it going.

I was given a 1994 L6 (badges, paint, rims, molding= Limited) VIN decoded says Laredo. This Jeep sat in my brothers driveway for 3 years, partially taken apart. The story goes that the lower radiator hose busted, so it was parked.
Since he was going to be under the hood anyway he removed the following:
Fan shroud
belt
alternator
fan and clutch
2 pulleys located by alternator
All spark plugs
All wire set
battery

I am not sure what the heck he was going to do, and he does not remember exactly what his plan was.
in the back of the Jeep are:
fan with clutch attached
additional fan clutch
alternator
2 pulleys
2 belts
nasty water pump

Of course the radiator hoses are still on there. Appears the water pump is new, and i know the radiator is new.
I have purchased:
Plugs
Wires
Distributor
Dist Rotor
Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
thermostat
thermostat gasket

I will replace all that I have purchased. But my brother thinks that i can just drain the oil then refill it, refill the coolant, and seafoam the gas tank, and put all the other random parts (listed above) back on the engine and start it right up. Does this sound legit? I have never taken on such a automotive feat, especially on a vehicle i know little about. Do I need to flush the oil or just drain and refill? do i just run water through the cooling system and drain before filling with coolant? ANY help is appreciated.

adwmac6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... Well on this one ,AS we are about into spring. So it should not freeze. I Believe I'll go along with your brother .. Lot's of work, But if you look upon it as your into it for free . Then you'r a kid, and a little labor, is JUST another, learning experience, SO . Get after it and .. I'll say it'll will crank & run without you putting in the plugs and wires . Won't run good but will crank. Don't be surprised if it has a bust head. But i'd give it a chance to be a cheap ride. Get/R/Done.....
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Brendan4862
1998 ZJ 

Change the oil and filter definitely. I wouldn't flush the oil. Flush the cooling system. Put it all back together except before the plugs go in, put some marvel mystery oil (mmo) in each plug opening. Let it sit for a little while then turn the engine over with the plugs still removed. Use the starter to make life easier. (Mmo) will shoot out the openings so be prepared. I say to do that because it sat for so long with no plugs in it. Plus this will help get some oil circulating. Hopefully nothing got in through the plug openings while it sat. After you get it running, I would highly recommend fluid changes. Transmission, differentials, transfer case. That's a start at least. These are only suggestions, do what feels right. Good luck!
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
bobinAZ
1993 ZJ 

might wanna pick up a fuel filter and put it on after you run the bad gas outta the tank. if your clutch fan happens to be bad, search for the E-fan conversion. also check the tail pipe to see if there's any blockage.
Unread 03-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

remove and drain the gas tank. It's just going to give you problems if you dont. I dont know if the fuel pump is inside the tank on that model year, but it might be. At least change the fuel filter on the pump...as well as what the other guy said about the MMO in the spark plug holes. Dont even THINK about turning it over until you've changed the oil and oil filter. I'd let it sit overnight with a tablespoon of MMO in each plug hole before turning it over.

Then I'd make certain that I had a HOT battery, because ZJs hate low battery power and/or bad connections. Clean the engine grounds and the battery cable ends very well, too.

Good luck !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Since you're in Tyler I'd take a real good look at the spark plug holes and make sure the mud daubers didn't make nests in there. They love getting in unused bolt holes. Agree with those above on putting some light oil in the cylinders. I'd turn the crank by hand at least the first time around to make sure nothing crawled in an open cylinder. The gas is probably bad if the Jeep was outside. You can try diluting it with fresh gas and fuel cleaner or drain it and take it somewhere or drain it and burn it slowly in other cars. Don't drain it on the ground. Gas breaks down into some nasty things. I just started and ran an engine in a car I had in the garage since 2008. Ran fine on that gas but I put a lot of Sta-Bil in it.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Use the old fuel for a lawn mower....or 10.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
adwmac6

Thank you everyone for the thoughts. I am hoping to work on it this week. I will piece it all together, flush the coolant, replace the oil and filter, and replace the fuel filter after i eliminate the old gas. Im not sure if i will have the chance to drop the tank to drain it so i will probably add seafoam (or do you recommend something else?) and add fresh gas. Ill do the MMO the night before i turn it over. And yes the mud daubers are horrible here, so ill be cautious. would spraying some air from a compressor into the spark plug holes be a good idea to try and run any out?
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
bullnachinashop

The air is a good idea, even if there is no critters in there, there is a possibility of dirt or grit in the cylinders. This should get all of it out of the cylinders before you mmo it or move the pistons up and down.
bullnachinashop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Brendan4862
1998 ZJ 

The gas in the tank, what level is it at? Any idea at all? If it's low, as in 1/4 tank or less, You could dump in some fresh gas on top of it (as long as the pump works!!!!) fresh gas mixed with old should burn no problem. If it's got a lot of gas in her, pump/drain it out definitely and give it some fresh stuff. Everyone is giving you fantastic advice. Take it slow and it'll fire right up.
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i would hit those spark plug holes with a shop vac, then mmo
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
adwmac6

Alright guys, i have:
changed the oil
changed oil filter
changed thermostat and gasket
changed upper radiator hose
changed lower radiator hose
changed distributor cap
changed distributor rotor
put seafoam in gas tank

all i need to do is put on:
alternator
both idler pulleys
fan w/ clutch
belt
fan shroud

BUT my issue is that all of these parts had been removed prior to me getting the ZJ and I'm missing some nuts and bolts. Can some one help me out with part numbers or bolt measurements, etc. so i can get new ones? Ive looked and am having trouble getting results. I need:
Both idler pulley bolts
Bolt that goes in the bottom hole of the alternator (i have the really long one that goes in the top)
EVERY nut (4 really small ones i think) that connects the wires to the rear of the alternator
4 little nuts that connect the fan to the water pump pulley

BTW, i did place MMO in spark plug holes and i can move the crank with my hands smoothly.
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Personally, I would go to the yard and get what I needed. but here's what you asker for.

Bolt that goes in the bottom hole of the alternator (i have the really long one that goes in the top)

EVERY nut (4 really small ones i think) that connects the wires to the rear of the alternator

not listed, get from junkyard

4 little nuts that connect the fan to the water pump pulley

J0271184

Both idler pulley bolts
idler-pulley.jpg  
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
adwmac6

Awesome, thank you. Where would I find a diagram like that? I'd love to find part numbers for myself instead of bothering other people.
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
adwmac6

I'm very limited to junk yards around here so i was looking online......$9 for an idler pulley bolt?!?! $21 for the spacer for the lower idler pulley?!?! $75 for 3 bolts, 1 washer, 4 nuts and a spacer?!?! Any recommendations on parts websites?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.