Getting a tranny cooler. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Getting a tranny cooler.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Getting a tranny cooler.

Hey guys I have opted to get myself a tranny cooler since the boat I pull weighs 3k lbs and I pull it 20 miles. Do you think this will do the job or do I need to go bigger?

http://amzn.com/B000C3F3SO

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum and has probably been edited.

RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I think that will do just fine, but bigger can't hurt.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

I figured. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks lonesome

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would go one bigger. Especially if you are bypassing the rad cooler but that one will probably be sufficient.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

I will go with the 678 then.

Unread 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Jons59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Where does the T-cooler mount, to the front of the radiator? Let us know how that turns out and post some pics.
I'm sure that we could all use one, especially if your wheeling w/ all the heat soaking...

Thanks,
Jon
98ZJ 5NINER-Trail Ready Front w/ Grill Guard--Rugged Ridge 8500lb-IRO 5 1/2"LA Fully Adj.Kit-16x8 Pro Comp 7089 Flat Black-35x12.5 Pro Comp Mudd Terrains--Upgraded to NP231HD-Tom Woods Rear Shaft-Rusty's Intake-K&N Filter--ADDCO F & R Sway bars, Currie HD Steering-3"Cat back w/ Flowmaster 50-TireGate HG Series Rear tire carrier
Jons59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Do your install, Post Pictures, and I'll follow your lead. Mountains burnt mine up, and I'll be adding in a temp gauge Somewhere(Where should it go? Pre pr Post coolers). Also, If you mount it in front of the OEM Cooler, and plumb them Inline to each other, Which way should they be done(New to old, or Old to new) While we're re-designing the system, IF you were to hook up a fluid filter(in addition to the one in the tranny)...Where in the system would that be best?
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

That size should be fine, I have a similar size B&M on my 98 and it cools the trans fine. It is possible to fit a larger one but would take some fab work.
I used the brackets that came with the B&M so I could mount it away from the rad. I don't like mounting the cooler right to the rad with those plastic clips. Also be careful to make sure your cooler hoses are routed so they don't chafe and the lines don't leak.

As far as routing the way most cooler manufacturers say to do it is to route the return line (upper line on the rad) to the inlet of the aux cooler, then from the cooler back to the trans.

In other words....
Trans---trans cooler in rad---aux cooler---back to trans
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Thats the one I got. Was thinking about going with an 11'' by 11'' instead.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
LouC
2007 WK 

I took some readings with the IR temp gun to get a rough idea how much the cooler lowers the temp. I measured the metal line (rad cooler exit from rad at the top) and it was about 180. Then I measured the top end of the aux cooler right where the fluid exits the aux cooler, about 130. Next I pulled out the dipstick with the engine idling and measured the temp of the fluid on the stick, 144. So I'd guess it probably drops the temp by about 30-40 degrees or so depending on how you are driving and the ambient temps.

Here is a pic of my installation and a little diagram showing how to hook up the aux cooler:
img_0040-2-.jpg   img_8723.jpg   aux-cooler-lines-routing.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Well I drive a 1996 4.0 Laredo with tow package. I was outside looking at it where you mounted yours on the right side of the rad. I already have a cooler there 0.o does that mean I already have a aux tran cooler????

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTagSoldier View Post
Well I drive a 1996 4.0 Laredo with tow package. I was outside looking at it where you mounted yours on the right side of the rad. I already have a cooler there 0.o does that mean I already have a aux tran cooler????

Pretty sure they all came with the aux tranny cooler with the tow package except for in 98. It's a small one though. My 95 limited came with one.
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

I do not know why I not know that. I have had this zj for long enough -.- I should know better lol. Well it looks good the fins are clean. Not bent and theres no debris so I might return the one I ordered lol. Feel like an idiot lol.

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTagSoldier View Post
I do not know why I not know that. I have had this zj for long enough -.- I should know better lol. Well it looks good the fins are clean. Not bent and theres no debris so I might return the one I ordered lol. Feel like an idiot lol.

You can make it better. Use the stock small one as the power steering cooler and the new larger one as the tranny cooler.
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Lol I might just do tht. But knowing I already have one I'm not in a hurry to get it done. I guess I can plan it out over the weekend. Is there already a power steering cooler under the hood or does it run through the rad?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.