getting ahead of possible death wobble in the future - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > getting ahead of possible death wobble in the future

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
puckhead96
1996 ZJ 

getting ahead of possible death wobble in the future

so i'm a relatively new jeep owner and have an 96zj 4.0L with 211k and counting. this is my DD and any off-roading i do is likely a dirt road since i prefer to do trails on my mountain bike. i don't plan on any sort of lift and everything on the jeep is stock and from what the previous owner said all steering and suspension is original as well. my problem is a slight oscillation in the front driver side. every now and again it gets bad with the steering wheel shaking along with the front end to the point were i need to slow down until it stops all at speeds from 40-50. i don't have the tools to do most everything i would need to do but have family friends who can help. as paychecks allow i want to replace my steering and suspension and my question is what are some parts that will be reliable but won't break the bank and yes i already know i get what i pay for so i don't plan on going as cheap as possible but i'm not bill gates so any suggestions?

puckhead96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The oscillation you describe is death wobble. Common points of failure are the trackbar bracket holes wallowing out and control arm bushings. Balljoints, tie rod ends, and unbalanced wheels/tires can also be a problem. Anybody tells you a steering stabilizer will fix it they're wrong.

Check the track-bar first, loose bolt there is the easiest to fix.

Since you have the 4.0 it's a good idea to upgrade to the V8 steering linkage: http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automoti.../dp/B008VPUOSO
If your CA bushings are worn (they are) I suggest getting whole new arms as beating the bushings out isn't worth the pain for the cost difference. Get moog, some of the off brands sell you the wrong parts.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
bskool
1998 ZJ 

Moog is very reasonable and quality. Go to their website and get the part numbers from there and then go to Amazon and start buying stuff. Amazon gets really sketchy when it comes to using their system for finding the correct parts. A Haynes manual will tell you how to do it and then you just need an alignment after you replace your parts. Like kg6mov said, trackbar, I'd start with the lower front control arms, and then get the moog front V8 steering tie rod, tie rod ends, and draglink. There are lots of write ups on replacing these parts in the forum
bskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
puckhead96
1996 ZJ 

i read through a good bit of death wobble threads and the only thing stopping me from saying full on death wobble is that it isn't constant even going on dirt roads it will sometimes be perfectly fine and then days later after plenty of driving ill be on a recently repaved road i have a death grip on the steering wheel. thanks for the advice on parts and it never crossed my mind to get the v8 linkage so ill definitely look into as i put together my list of parts.
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Death wobble in early stages takes a trigger to get the axle moving, a bump in the road or a magic speed.

Then it gets to the point where you can't go over 20mph without it trying to jump off the road.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
puckhead96
1996 ZJ 

so as iv'e been putting together the parts list iv'e gotten under the front end to check on certain things and today i found one of my problems. im pretty sure this is not how a sway bar link works.......
img_02391.jpg  
img_02381.jpg

Unread 08-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You should be able to drive with the swaybar disconnected with no DW.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

He's right.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.