Gettin' Burned out on the ZJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gettin' Burned out on the ZJ!

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Gettin' Burned out on the ZJ!

1996 ZJ, 4.0, 4x4 - So... First My ZJ Burned up the PCM. I installed a new Crank Sensor and replaced the PCM with a Used unit and it burned it up. I then replaced the Crank Sensor, Cap & Rotor and Installed a Re-Man PCM and it burned it up. I then Replaced the Alternator and Both O2 Sensors and was able to put over 1,000 miles on it Now, Yay, right? Well, during this1,000 or so Miles it has been Idling High and then Normal and then High and then Normal and so on... Well, now out of nowhere it is stalling on me. Sometime it will just die and other times I can pump the throttle and save it and other times it will almost stall out and then recover on its own. I checked the Fuel Pressure and it stays consistent right about 50psi when it is running and when it stalls. I'm gettin' pretty tired of this thing! Fortunately it is just a toy and not a Daily Driver. Any Ideas of what to do from here? I Cleaned the IAC. I've wiggled all the Vacuum Lines looking for a leak, Jiggled the CPM Connectors. Is there anyone in Southern California that knows this vehicle and would wanna work on it???

ryanf77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Any Suggestions anyone? I bought a Noid Light Set that should be delivered tomorrow so that I can check the Fuel Injectors and see if they are being shut off or not when the Jeep Dies. Pending those results any ideas?
Unread 09-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

see link below
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

First step for an OBDII car is scan for codes...don't even get your hands dirty!!
mikem350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

I agree on the OBDII Scan! Done it multiple times to make sure! No Codes...

ZeeJay, as for the List, I have seen it and read through it a couple times now. I have Done Numbers 1,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,&11. I did Part of # 7 also! I will do # 2, 12, & the rest of 7 and then let Ya know the results!
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if none of the other stuff pans out, sounds like something could be going on with iac. may have an intermittent short. no good way to check it with a meter (that i know of) other that take it off and see if the pins all read the same resistance to case. tap it with a screwdriver handle while it's running.
Unread 10-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

ZeeJay, I Checked that the Injectors were getting signals with the Noid Light and they all tested good. Also, with the Noid Light Set came a tester for the IAC and it is getting a signal/power. Just in case though, I replaced the IAC with an Airtex Unit and am still getting the same issue. Any more ideas?
Unread 10-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I'd only use Mopar sensors. The others are a crap shoot. Might be the TPS or MAP. Could be the new after market crank sensor if it's not Mopar. Might be the PCM again. I do know that when my TPS went bad it would lose throttle when I would accelerate and stall and bog at stop lights. Sometimes I could feather the gas and revive it other times not.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Thanks PolkaPower. I had heard/read that the Airtex was as good as OEM. I don't have a Dealer near me and Airtex is readily available on ebay so I went with it. I will replace the TPS and see what Happens...
Unread 10-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

These are all possibilities. Right now you are just tossing money at it.
Unread 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, I'm out of ideas except to just throw New Parts at it until I get it... I'd even take it to someone to fix it but don't know any Jeep Experts. Guess I could call the dealer and see about taking it to them. Dunno how experienced they'll be with a 1996 though...
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Well... I installed the new TPS and still the same Symptons. Now, it won't start at All. Checked for Spark with an inline Spark Light and no Spark... What now???
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

I've had pretty good luck with Airtex and Standard, so far(knock on wood). If you have no spark, same problem I have now, you have to haul out the manual and start testing all your ignition components......start there. I feel your pain dude.
dodgemahal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How about your battery ground?
Unread 10-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if you havent reworked the grounds, do so.

then it may be time for the nuclear option. carefully take the looms off of all the wires on top of the engine starting at the four that branch up to the throttle body. check for hardened/melted/fused insulation where the copper center has broken through and are touching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.