Genright hood louvers done w/pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Genright hood louvers done w/pics

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Genright hood louvers done w/pics

Intro:
My current effort to keep the modded 5.9 cool. This one went well and I snapped pics throughout, so here's the writeup. I recommend just buying the louvers from Genright. The reason I say this is because there aren't any special deals out there. Of course I chintzed out and bought a set off ebay and the guy sent me the wrong louvers and I got stuck with the return shipping. Give yourself an afternoon for this project, but it could be done quicker.

Materials:
Genright LVR1006 louvers
black model paint
black spray paint
electrical tape
acetone

Tools:
angle grinder
metal cutting disc
rivet tool
sidecutters
die grinder
drill
1/8" drill bit
felt tip pen
hacksaw
ruler
straight edge
goggles
small model paintbrush

Notes:
I downloaded the directions for both the Genright and Runcool hood louvers. The Runcool directions are way better, and tell you how to make a rainwater diverter, which I didn't do.

I bought an angle grinder and rivet tool from Northern, and they worked perfectly. I went to Lowe's and got a Dewalt 4.5" .045" metal cutting disc. It happened to be on sale for $1.77.

angle grinder
FREE SHIPPING — Northern Industrial Grinder — 4.5in. 10,000 RPM | Grinders + Stands | Northern Tool + Equipment

rivet tool
Rivet Tool and Assorted Rivets | Rivet Tools | Northern Tool + Equipment

See pic 1.

Steps:
1. I removed the hood, set it on sawhorses and removed the insulation. It takes two to remove the hood, but after that it can be wielded by one guy. I'm going to leave the insulation off. See pic 2.

2. Pic the spot where you want the louvers to go and trace the pattern on the hood. I picked a spot where I thought there would be the least interference from hood supports. And I got it right. All the pop rivets worked first time. Also, I made measurements to make sure both sides were in the same position. See pic 3 and 4.

gen17.jpg   gen1.jpg   gen2.jpg   gen3.jpg  
HighLonesome is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Hope your not going to cut the blue line.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
skendralla

Yeah, good call. You may want to move mark some holes from the top first.
skendralla is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
Hope your not going to cut the blue line.
Naw

continued steps...

3. Lay down your tape along the trace. Inner edge of tape on your line. See pic 1. Using the inner edge of the tape as a guide, make marks 5/8" from the tape along the 4 sides of the semi-rectangle. The Runcool instructions say 1" and the Genright 1/2". 1/2" is cutting it too close IMO. Draw your cutting line. See pic 2.

4. Set the louver on the hood in the trace and mark the 8 holes with the felt pen. Adjust your cutting line if any of the holes are too near the cutting line. See pic 3. I already made the cut, but you can see the marked holes.
gen4.jpg   gen5.jpg   gen7.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

5. Make the cut with angle grinder or whatever you choose, finish the corners with a hacksaw, and deburr with die grinder and a green Roloc disc. See pics 1,2,3.
gen6.jpg   gen8.jpg   gen9.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

6. Lay down the louver and drill the 8 holes. Drill a hole and insert a pop rivet as a guide as the instructions say. Then drill the next hole. Pic 1. Deburr the holes with the die grinder so the louvers will fit tight to the hood. Redrill the holes and deburr twice to make sure. Pic 2.
gen10.jpg   gen13.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

7. Rub the area inside the tape down with acetone and lay down some black paint to stop rust. Rust never sleeps. Pics 1,2.

8. Rivet the louver to the hood. While you are pumping the rivet gun, push down so the louver fits tight. You pump the rivet tool until the rivet breaks. Usually they break below the surface. But not always. You will need to trim those with sidecutters. Pic 3.

9. Spray some paint on the underside to stop rust. Pic 4.

10. Touch up the rivets you needed to trim with black paint and a small modeler's brush. You may not have to do this.

Done! pic 5. I think I will get 100% flow out of these louvers...nothing is blocked.

Waiting on my neighbor to get home from work to put the hood on. Pics to come.
gen11.jpg   gen12.jpg   gen14.jpg   gen15.jpg   gen16.jpg  

Unread 11-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Niiice, looks awesome. I want to do this on my white zj too. No need for a photoshop request now

Nice write-up
MurdaJs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thank you!! As soon as the old Jepp is gone from the garage Im putting on my 5.9 louvers on. I figure the steps should be the same but I just bolt the drip trays underneath and trim the under-hood felt.
WhiteOut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Nice, I've been looking for 5.9 hood vents or the GTP vents, I do believe this will be the route I go. Thanks!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

You can see daylight through all the louvers in the first pic. Finished in the second pic.

I noticed when I look at the louvers from the rear, I can see some crinkling in the hood metal. Kind of looks like crap. 8 holes probably isn't enough.
gen18.jpg   gen19.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

The crinkling. It looks worse in person.
gen20.jpg   gen21.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
wickerham
1993 ZJ 

nice write-up. no drip trays though? wet fuse case on pass. side and wet battery on driver side worries me.
wickerham is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
318jeepcherokee
1998 ZJ 

they look good.. but linda look like the vents you have in the floor of your house(skinny and long) ...nothing beats the look of the factory 5.9 hood louvers.. i got the platinum 5.9 ... was thinking of painting the louvers black..
-1998 grand cherokee 5.9- custom intake, MTX sledge hammer sub with two JBL audio speakers in the rear doors and JVC deck, Westin safari bar with two 6' lights, Yakima load warrior with reverse lights, Hooker aero chamber muffler.
318jeepcherokee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #15
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerham View Post
nice write-up. no drip trays though? wet fuse case on pass. side and wet battery on driver side worries me.
Yea I am a little concerned although it hardly ever rains here. The instructions say look out for the alternator and distributor, but I'd worry about the PCM the most. Fuses and battery are both on passenger side. The fuse box has a cap. Its easy to add a rainwater diverter later on. To get the louvers off, you just clip the ends off the rivets and they pop out. I'm going to run it for now.

I think the crinkling on the hood metal happened when I made the cuts with the angle grinder. I caused hotspots and the metal deformed a little.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.