General Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > General Question

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-31-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

General Question

I bought my jeep w/66k miles. what all should i do maintenance wise.. what usually goes out on these? also. how does an exhaust kit, and air intake and jet chip etc. do for these? which is a good performance/gassaving modification?

this is the 5.2l 318 ci chrysler motor..and its a strong proven engine, just curious what i could do to "wake" it up so to speak.

shawn

Unread 03-31-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep39
I bought my jeep w/66k miles. what all should i do maintenance wise.. what usually goes out on these? also. how does an exhaust kit, and air intake and jet chip etc. do for these? which is a good performance/gassaving modification?

this is the 5.2l 318 ci chrysler motor..and its a strong proven engine, just curious what i could do to "wake" it up so to speak.

shawn

Shawn,
First, change all the fluids and filters, making absolutely sure you use the correct fluids. If you have the tow package, the rear differential fluid is different than if you don't. Consider performing a major tune-up, new plugs, wires, filters, pcv, egr, etc. If the coolant hasn't been changed for several years your radiator and heater core are at risk from corrosion. Flushing the system and replacing aging hoses would be good.
Once you have taken care of all the basic maintenance requirements the standard performance upgrades are the FIPK and CAT back exhaust. By reducing air intake and exhaust restrictions the engine will breath easier and increase performance. How much performance you want will dictate what you change. Headers, with a 2.5" or 3" exhaust system will increase performance, along with noise and heat. MOPAR makes a performance ECU that is more effective than the JET modules. Also, there doesn't appear to be any real benefit to TB spacers.
HTH
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the help. Like i was trying to say in one of my previous thread's. the jeep is 100% extremely well taken care of. it has had all scheduled maintenances etc. Flawless... i will do the fluid changes...and look it all over.

Also, big question... how do you make the factory keyless entry/alarm beep when you press the lock/unlock buttons? I know there is a way..also, i swapped a new battery..and i re did the clock, and now it says 7500 miles to service, not 3500 how do i change that back?

thanks,
shawn
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
crazynut52

Congrats on the new Jeep!

As far as the miles till service, it is changed by pressing one or both of the buttons down for a few seconds and then it will let you change the setting. I know thats not quite precise, if you cant get it, its in the manual, and if you dont have one let me know, and I will copy mine word for word directions.

The dealer can plug a computer in under your dash to change several settings including horn chirp with lock.

He can also change the following:

1. headlights come on automatically when the wipers are turned on if the switch is on auto

2. All doors unlock with one press of the button on the key fob, opposed to only the driver door unlocking, and the rest unlocking with a second press of the button

3. chime when low fuel light comes on.

4. and finally the horn chirp with locking, although this may require your jeep to have the factory security system.
crazynut52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

well i appreciate it. thanks for the help.

looks like it is not something i will be able to do. thanks again for the input..i read the manual. and noticed that, i was hoping there was an easier way around it. i will have to call jeep up to see what they can do.

thanks again

shawn
Unread 04-01-2004, 05:54 AM   #6
Saleen4971

to change the service reminder, you have to press in the top button i think, while t urning the key to the "on" position, and it will let you go through a few options

Engine/Trans
- Full Kolak Exhaust (ML's FM70) - FIPK2 - APS 52mm TB - MSD Blaster SS - A3923's - Magnecor's - MP ECU - 180 robertshaw t-stat - Relocated IAT - E.H. M1 - B&M Trans Cooler

Susupension/Brakes
- Addco 1.25" Military front & 7/8" rear sways - Edelbrock IAS shocks - OME S.S - Stilens Front & Rear

Coming Soon :
Level10 Stage 3 46RE - WJ knuckle conversion
Saleen4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the Jeep world.

A couple of helpful hints:

1. Take a stroll down through the photo pages at www.nagca.com and you'll be able to see mods on trail and street jeeps that you like and dislike without having to spend money on them. You can even PM or email (some) the guys with the mods you like to get the pros and cons of each and where they bought them.

2. Nick Kolak is a great resource for engine mods and suspension mods. His email is Kolak@aol.com. He also works with Kevin Fell who has his doctorate in Jeepology. Take a look and his site and he has great products and the service to make it happen.

Any other questions, just ask.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #8
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

well thanks a whole bunch. extremely helpful. the websites provided should now provide me with hours of helpful entertainment. thank you

shawn
Unread 04-01-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Shawn,

there will be a test in four days. The sites are information NOT ENTERTAINMENT!

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.