General Maint. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > General Maint.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
SethGCherokee
1998 ZJ 

General Maint.

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, and its clear its at the age where things that aren't in the maintenance schedule are needing to be done. Can anyone give me things besides, spark plugs, serp belt and common things that are common things that need to be replaced, ball joints?, u joints? shocks/springs(which are oem)? and if chrysler put the fuel filter inside the gas tank does that mean its just going to be that much more expensive to replace it or will it do as is.

SethGCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
big_rudy101
1996 ZJ 

Im planning on replacing my spark plug wires here soon. But, when it comes to u joints and ball joints and stuff like that, IMO, if it aint broke, dont fix it. Just keep em greased up and watch for the dust boots not to tear.

I mean, if you really wanted to, shocks could be nice to replace. You'd be surprised at the difference of ride quality after a new set of shocks. Transfercase and tranny fluid are some things that seem to be commonly overlooked. I dunno, the list could go on and on. JM2C.
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
SethGCherokee
1998 ZJ 

I've just been hearing this clunking noise, when i shift from park, and then in a different location (quieter, but same noise) when I'm turning sharp at lower speeds.

I don't do much offroading, and when i do its very amateur. So based on shocks, do you have any reccomendation as to what brand offers a softer ride. Monroe offers the basic OEM economy replacements and then they have the more expensive adjusting ones. Do you think there is a big difference in them?
SethGCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
big_rudy101
1996 ZJ 

I have only bought one set of new shocks for my ZJ. And they came with my cheap Fat Bobs Garage BB. But I must say, they were like riding on a cloud compared to the old and worn stock shocks. And the shocks that came with the kit can be purchased at like $25 a piece. And thats just the cheapo ones! I cant even imagine the ride some of these guys on JeepFourm have. With their crazy expensive shocks.
Even if you do very little offroading, shocks wear just like any other part on a vehicle. Wouldnt hurt to swap em out with an OEM replacement. Go for it.
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

If you get a chance to, inspect and replace all suspension bushing as necessary. By this age, most are pretty worn and sometimes, they are the root cause of mysterious clunks. This, along with shocks make a stock height ZJ ride like it's new again.
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand cherokee , maintenance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.