Gearshift Vibration on 1993 ZJ 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gearshift Vibration on 1993 ZJ 4.0

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
FREFLO
1993 ZJ 

Gearshift Vibration on 1993 ZJ 4.0

hello!
This is the background:1993 zj 4.0 automatic transmission 135,000 miles, no especial modifications, maintenance up to date, runs great. 5,000 miles ago, the automatic transmission was rebuilted, it works after the rebuilt. The engines mount and transmission mounts were shot, and were changed 1,000 before the transmission overhaul. There is where the vibration started. When i'm driving, at any speed or road condition, the transmission gearshift starts to vibrate A LOT, really A LOT . It feels like the transmission is going to fall apart (it doesn't). The transfer case gear shift also vibrates a lot. i have past trough 4 different mechanics, all of them have checked: The transmission, the engine and transmission mounts, front and rear suspension (it was completely changed 10,000 miles ago) and everything seems to be fine.
The transmission shifts gears correctly up and down. I really have no idea what's wrong, and i'm kind of desperate.
What is strange is that before the transmission overhaul, the ZJ had very poor MPG (11 MPG combined), after the fix; it's the same. Have done all the possible tune ups, spark plugs, cables, rotor, air filter, seafoam, oxygen sensors, new belt, thermostat, fan clutch(last 3 fixes were part of maintenance 3,000 miles ago). i don't want to hijack my own threat with the gas consumption but maybe it has something to do with the vibration/ transmission (???)
I am starting to guess there is maybe something wrong with the transfer case, i hardly use the 4wd (shame on me).
Any thoughts? Any idea would be appreciated!
Thank You!

FREFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
FREFLO
1993 ZJ 

Gearshift Vibration on 1993 ZJ 4.0

Update:found out it was the starter. I changed it and within one month the vibration and rattle was gone. Crazy thing that when removing the old starter, the bolts were tight!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
FREFLO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg , transmission mount , vibrations

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.