Gear shifter console light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gear shifter console light

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
RangerJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gear shifter console light

Hello folks,1999 GC 4x4 auto 4.0 (gas guzzler) Light in the gear shifter console is out, need info on how to replace the bulb or at least how to get to it.Thanks

RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
PA 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Assuming it's like a ZJ, you carefully pry the bezel up and then pop the bulb out of the socket and replace it.

PA 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Are you talking about the little bulb that lights up the actual PRND21? It's a #129 bulb in the ZJ and is just like PA 5.9 said. In fact my bezel won't stay down. If I shift all the way into to L1 my bezel pops up out of the center console.

Once it's loose from the center console, the bezel just slides up the shifter and the bulb socket sticks out of the bottom. Twist the socket a little and it pops out, then you pull the bulb straight out of the socket. Reverse the process to put it back together.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
g-town ram
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Hello folks,1999 GC 4x4 auto 4.0 (gas guzzler) Light in the gear shifter console is out, need info on how to replace the bulb or at least how to get to it.Thanks
I hope I'm wrong ,but I think my wife's was replaced under warranty and they had to replace the whole unit,it's a different kind of setup and uses higher voltage. I think that's what I remember.
Good luck

(OlllllllO)
g-town ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i'm pretty sure it's not just a bulb in the wj like it is in the zj. the zj uses 194 bulbs.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.