Gear pattern check - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gear pattern check

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 05-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Einkley
1998 ZJ 

Gear pattern check

Dana 44a
Backlash- .007-.0075
Ttr-31
Tttr-42/43

image.jpg  
Einkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Einkley
1998 ZJ 

And the other side...
image.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
framanda
1997 ZJ 

Drive side Looks pretty centered root to face but slightly towards the toe. I just did my first gear set up so I am very new to this. but If i would have came up with that pattern I would pull .005 out from the pinion and if your backlash is a 7 now it will probably need to be reset. Are you setting the preload on the pinion bearings?
I also would like to say I have seen patterns like that run with no ill affect, but if your setting up your own I would take this as an opportunity to strive for perfection.
Some one with more experience may come along and say I'm wrong but that is my interpretation of what I have seen, and my small amount of knowledge on the subject.
framanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Einkley
1998 ZJ 

Pinion preload was 31 in lb. This is my first setup too, I'm just surprised everything was so close the first time. I would like to try and get a seccond pattern, I feel like the first was done incorrectly, with no resistance on the pinion yoke, any tips?
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

wrap a rag around the yoke real tight and tie it to a tube to get a good few dozen ftlbs of resistance when turning the ring gear. or use a wood block between the housing and ring gear when turning the pinion.

the pinion looks to be way too shallow on the drive side. i'd take the back lash down to .004 myself. the aluminum housing flexes quite a bit so you want it on the tighter side of things at initial set up.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.