Gear noise from under my ZJ 5.9 L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gear noise from under my ZJ 5.9 L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-12-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
anthonyh75

Gear noise from under my ZJ 5.9 L

I am getting a loud noise coming from under my ZJ. I have the 5.9 L It is a 1998. When going down the road I can hear the noise. It sounds like a speedometer gear but coming from the front of the trasmission or transfer case. When I shift from drive to neutral going down the road the sound stops about 2 secound after going into Neutral. Coasting along there is no noise until I shift back into drive. It happens in all gears. If I shift into 4Lo and drive for a bit and then shift back into 4Hi the sound goes away for a while. For that reason I belive the noise is coming from the transfer case. Does anyone know of a prob. with it. I have the NV249 transfer case. I had the fluid replaced at a lube center and they put ATF fluid in there. The noise started soon after. I found out that the transfer is supposed to ATF+4. I took it back to the lube center and they drained it and put the right fluid back in. I dont know if this could have caused a prob. once they changed the fluid it seemed to help but the noise is back and constant now. I have 86,000 miles on the jeep. Any help would be great. Thanks

Unread 05-12-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
JEEPTECHNICIAN

just wondering why you would drive your jeep in 4lo? You are not supposed to be able to shift into 4lo while going down the road. How fast did you get up to in 4lo?
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2003, 05:52 AM   #3
anthonyh75

I slowed down to about 2mph and ****ed into Neutral and then shifted the transfer case into 4Lo. After driving str8 in 4lo for about 30 Ft. I then shifted back to 4hi and the nosie stopped for a while. I am leaning toward it being the vicious coupler that is making the noise. The noise is speed not RPM related and happens in all gears. I have put it up on a rack and ran the speed up to 50 MPH with someone under the truck and the sound is coming from the Transmission Transfer case area. It is hard to detirmine exactly where it is coming from though.
Unread 06-19-2003, 06:27 AM   #4
anthonyh75

replying to my other post changing nvA friend of mine works for a mobile station and ordered it for me. He got it at the stations price with was alot cheaper than retail. I was supposed to get my trans. from the Dealership on Monday but it is now Thurs. and they dont have any idea when im going to get it in. I found a trans. online but the price is pretty cheap and the Warrenty is not very good at all. It is from Phoenix transmission reman. It only comes with a 6 Month 6,000 mile warr. The warr. does not include labor. I am supposed to get a trans from the stealership for 1500.00 reman. it comes with a 3yr 36,000 mile warr. and includes labor. Anyone know anything about Phoenix trans.? Right now the jeep is just annoying driving and hearing the noise. It runs great and shifts great. I just dont want to get stuck somewhere. I am also towing my boat wich is 5000 lbs this weekend over 400 miles round trip. Oh well we will see if I make it. Thanks for any suggestions or help guys I will keep everyone posted. -249 to 242
Unread 06-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Murphy's law says that all will be okay until Sunday afternoon. Or early monday morning as you try to drive to work.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2003, 06:48 AM   #6
anthonyh75

Hey that will work for me. As long as I get a weekend of fun and skiing in then I will be happy walking to work.
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:02 AM   #7
anthonyh75

This is nuts. I made it back from the beach with out any prob. with my trans. It is just making noise still. A little louder. I am still waiting for my trans. The dealership said that the factory isnt shipping any trans. out until the 2nd. week in July. Even then they are not sure if they will get one of the trans. shipped. I am now looking at other places for a trans. Anyone have any suggestions ?
Unread 06-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
bsowa

Anthony...just moved into arlington. Was wondering what dealership you go to in here....heritage or rosenthal and if you have any thoughts on either....bought my 2000 GC ltd from Farrish, though I am not pleased at all with the service I receieved there.....rosenthal is about 3 blocks from me....not sure about heritage....just wondering if you have been to either....thanks
bsowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:25 AM   #9
anthonyh75

I really dont care for either dealership. My best friend is a mechanic and I am pretty good at replacing parts myself. I have full access to his lifts and tools when it is something difficult. My last car was a 99 corvette that I took to Herritage and I was not happy at all. I knew more about corvettes then everyone there. I had to explain a common problem with the steering colum lock to the service tech. They seemed to be pretty good with my older Jeep ZJ though. I have never cared for Rosenthale because they never seem to have anyone to even answer there phone. You usually have to leave a message. Plus they have tried to screw me on prices in the past. I have never actually had any service done there though. Herritage does work on alot of jeeps and I dont recall not being please except with my vette. If you want the number to my buddies shop I can give you that. He is honest and they do good work for general repair and maint.
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
bsowa

Anthony...if you can shoot me that number, I would appreciate it. Have the extended warranty, and like I said, not happy with Farrish at all, but have a few things that I cant do because of space and are not covered by the warranty (diffs fluid, trans fluid, etc)
bsowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #11
anthonyh75

The number is 703-780-0303 It is Mt. Vernon Mobile on RT. 1. My buddys name is John but I know all the guys there. They are all good mechanics and they are at least up front and honest with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.