Gear Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gear Install

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
matholland
1998 ZJ 

Gear Install

Hey guys...I am going to be getting a HP d30 soon...since they are so hard to find around where I live with 4.10 gears, I may be forced to buy one with 3.55's, use my 3.73 carrier out of my current LP d30 and install gears in it. I was trying to find one with 4.10's so that I only had to change the gears in 1 axle...however I cannot find a hp d30 with 4.10's ANYWHERE....searched cl 250 miles, looked on car-part....people want a fortune on car-part...like 700 bucks...screw that...i can buy a hp d30 already pulled with 3.55's all day for 100-150...or go pull one myself for 75.

Anywho...is this something I can accomplish on myself? I have never messed with differentals...I have had them apart....my buddy that I know who does it all the time, well he just bought a house, and I don't really want to bother him...

My rear is a ford 8.8....I just bought yukon shafts for the front, and can use my carrier, locker, and the shafts to use in the hp d30.

I also need to remove my carrier and my locker from my existing lp d30 which I don't know how to do since I have never done it...When I do buy the hp d30 I will need to change the axle seals, and do I need to change the bearings in the diff as well?

matholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Can you even use the same carrier in both axles? The HP 30 is reverse cut, the LP is standard. Setting up gears is something that takes a decent amount of knowledge and profession to do correctly. You may want to read into it more. It's not a simple task.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
matholland
1998 ZJ 

I have a buddy that is going to assist...i didn't want to bother him but i asked and he said he didn't care to help...yes carriers are the same, only the gears are different.
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Not a mech by any means, but I did alot of research and listened to guys here and in the wrangler forum. I thinks its been aleast six months and no problems so far. It wasn't exactly what I would call fun. Links in the post may help you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1344601/
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
matholland
1998 ZJ 

Alright guys...I have the front gears installed....my buddy has been busy with buying a house and fixing it up, and getting married in may...Installing the gears only took about 2 hours...The axle was out though, so it made things easier...the 8.8 is still installed in the jeep...I have a mini-spool, and it has some play if I jack up one side and spin the tire...which causes a loud clunk if you let off the gas and hit it again, or something similar...I would like to get rid of that as well, but not sure if I can on a mini spool...I am tempted to give this a try myself...my buddy used all existing shims on the pinion, then put the carrier up to it, and started adding shims to what he figured would be very close...pressed the new bearings on the carrier, and used all the shims that were on it, plus the new ones...and it matched up perfect.

I hate to get in the middle of doing it, and not being able to finish it, but I am trying to get rid of it, and its causing issues with me trying to sell it as well for people that would have to pay good money to get it done if they don't know how to do it.

Thoughts/Suggestions? Never had an 8.8 apart so I am not sure what to expect.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.