GCL CD radio question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > GCL CD radio question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-25-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

GCL CD radio question

Hey my fellow Jeepster,

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to take apart the OEM CD and cassette player radio that is found in the 96 and up GC's?

I'm asking this question 'cause one of the illumination lights inside the radio blew out and i was wonder if it can be taken apart and changed. I know this is an insignificant little problem, but it's driving me up the wall so much that every time i look at the radio at night, i feel as if i want to sell the Jeep just for this problem.

Anyways, any suggested would be appreciated.

I'll even buy a new radio, if thats my last resort..................

Thanx again

Unread 02-26-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

you may as well just replace the head unit...even if it's an OEM one (can be found on eBay all the time - Jeep oem head units ). All the internal lighting of the deck is LED, so if one is burnt, you'll have to desolder it, pull it, then replace and resolder the new one in. It's really not worth the time and hassle.
2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs ¤ WAAG 1-piece front brush guard ¤ custom built WAAG nerf bars ¤ PIAA 580 lighting ¤ Custom Paint ¤ One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step ¤
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 ¤ Autothority Chips ¤ Rear Muffler Bypass ¤ Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Alright, well i'll check ebay and if i find one for cheap then i'll get it, or else when i get the chance i'll take mine apart and have a skillful solderer do it for me........... 'cause it's driving me crazy!!!!

Thanx again for your help
Unread 03-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Centennial

Bulb Replacement

On the 96-98 CD/Cassette units the Bulbs are twist in 1/4 turn Socket Type. Easy to change once you get to them. You need to be careful not to break the plastic clips of when removing the face. after you get the face off there will be 2-3 screws or metal twist lock tabs holding the face PCB in place. The bulbs can be replaced from the back of this PCB.
Hope this helps...

Earl
Centennial Services
EBay ID: Firehouse16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJGuido
Hey my fellow Jeepster,

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to take apart the OEM CD and cassette player radio that is found in the 96 and up GC's?

I'm asking this question 'cause one of the illumination lights inside the radio blew out and i was wonder if it can be taken apart and changed. I know this is an insignificant little problem, but it's driving me up the wall so much that every time i look at the radio at night, i feel as if i want to sell the Jeep just for this problem.

Anyways, any suggested would be appreciated.

I'll even buy a new radio, if thats my last resort..................

Thanx again
Centennial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Thanx Centennial!! I really hope you're right 'cause the last thing i want to do is replace the head unit!!

Would you know the part # for those types of bulbs or maybe the type of bulbs they are? I had to replace similar bulbs in the head unit of the Auto Climate Controls but when i went to the dealer to buy them, they told me that those types of bulbs cant be bought individually and that i would have to buy the whole head unit.

I've also searched the internet and auto parts stores in my area but i had no luck. I finally found a dealership outside the city that had them, but they weren't the exact ones. They were brighter and didnt fit very well. The dealer told me they were from a Dodge.

Anyways, anything that would point me in the right direction would be appreciated. THANX!!
Unread 03-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
oilcounter

Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJGuido
Thanx Centennial!! I really hope you're right 'cause the last thing i want to do is replace the head unit!!

Would you know the part # for those types of bulbs or maybe the type of bulbs they are? I had to replace similar bulbs in the head unit of the Auto Climate Controls but when i went to the dealer to buy them, they told me that those types of bulbs cant be bought individually and that i would have to buy the whole head unit.

I've also searched the internet and auto parts stores in my area but i had no luck. I finally found a dealership outside the city that had them, but they weren't the exact ones. They were brighter and didnt fit very well. The dealer told me they were from a Dodge.

Anyways, anything that would point me in the right direction would be appreciated. THANX!!
I just took my OEM cassette radio out of my 2000 JGC and replaced it with a 3 disk (in dash cd player)..

If you want to take my old one (its in perfect condition) Contact me. "oilcounter@yahoo.com"

-Rob
Katy, TX
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Centennial

Replacement Bulbs

Sorry for being slow to reply. I can send a few bulbs out to you if you let me know your address. Just let me know how many you need.

Email me @ : Centennial@suscom.net

Earl - Centennial Services
Centennial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.