gc 5.2 sputtering/bucking/backfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > gc 5.2 sputtering/bucking/backfiring

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
spikeystrip
1993 XJ Cherokee 

gc 5.2 sputtering/bucking/backfiring

i decided to give my 5.2 a tuneup a couple weeks ago so i went out and got basic plug wires, cap and rotor. i did it all and ever since then my jeep runs like ****. if i accelerate slowly it will buck and and backfire and it also does it when im cruising so its impossible to drive the highway. if i accelerate fast or floor it , it will run fine and strong. i do not have any lack of power by the way and i changed the wires but still has same symptoms. How can i test my tps? is there anything else that would cause these symptoms. thanks

1995 Grand Cherokee
Stock Daily Driver
AWD 5.2 V8
spikeystrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

couting of the wires, improper gap on plugs, switched wires around possibly, or the wrong plug.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

X 2 , check your spark plug wire routing , confirm all the ends are snapped properly on the dist cap and spark plugs .

There is also a TPS for the plugs wires and how to route them properly , cheap parts may increase the chances of problems from this issue . Here it is http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98.htm .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

these guys are right....

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.