gauges going crazy and won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > gauges going crazy and won't start

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
ZedMan2K
2002 WJ 

gauges going crazy and won't start

Hi all I am new to your forum and thank you for your love of Jeeps.

This is my second Jeep, first was a 84 G-Wagoneer when I was too young to 'use' it right (lol).

I now have a 00 G-Cherokee Lim. I love it and know I will be doing a lot of the good stuff to it

Now for my problem, on sunday I tried to start it and ALL that happened all of the gauges went nuts (jumping all over the place) with a clicking from behind the cluster. It did this even after I took the key out. The int. lights were dim and flickered with the clickin, if I hit the brake pedal it all stoped untill I let go of it. After a few presses it stoped and I could start the truck.

Today my wife had the Jeep and the same thing happened to her, just the brake thing didn't work so I drove out to her and pulled most of the main fuses and it started, but the Tac. and speedo were pined all the way around. I fixed that by pulling the cluster fuse.

Anybody have any idears? Can the gauge cluster keep it from starting? Could the CPS mess with the cluster??

ZedMan2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Briandl

Get your battery checked...
Briandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
ZedMan2K
2002 WJ 

That was my first thought but it has always started strong and quick so I moved it down the list of possibles, still worth checking. Thanks
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Briandl

Well I've read the same symptoms here or on JU and it was a bad battery, and it's easy to check so move it UP the list...
Briandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

definitely sounds like bad battery. It might have been destroyed while driving, for example on the bump. It happens sometimes. Check it first, before you disassemble half of the rig
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
BexarWolf

Similar thing happened to our '00 GC Laredo. It started but all the gauges pegged out to the max. Took it to the shop, found one of the lead plates in the battery had broken and was causing a short. New battery, gauges/starting fine.
BexarWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
clgielin
2003 WJ 

I just had this problem recently. I replaced the battery and cleaned/checked both terminal clamps and chassis ground. Haven't had any problems since.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/electrical-problem-prevents-engine-start-408538/

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Othoni

I had the same problem as yours, turn out I had to replace the battery. Once I replaced it problem solved. If you can take your battery to an autozone and they will check it for free. If it's good just make sure the terminals are on tight cause if there not it will make your gauges o crazy.

[URL]http://www.cardomain.com/id/othoni[/URL]
Othoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Anyone notice a theme here?
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
highryder08

i could be totally wrong but the theme i see starting to occur is that the battery is dead......yes, no???
2000 Black TJ Sport, 4.5in. Superlift, 33x12.5in BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain's, 15x10in Cragar Black Steelies, Mile Marker 9000lb. winch, Bestop Tire Carrier, Custom Made Rear Bumper, Hella 500's, ARB Snorkel, Uniden CB/PA, SOLD
Appalachin State Mountaineers- Back to Back to Back National Champions!!
Go Noles!!
highryder08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
LeroyJMC
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highryder08
i could be totally wrong but the theme i see starting to occur is that the battery is dead......yes, no???

What was your methodology of reasoning to come to this conclusion? Are you sure that your conclusion is accurate?
1997 Chevrolet Z71
1994 ZJ Laredo 4.0 - Sold
Thanks for the IR Remote Smokinbk.
LeroyJMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
str8shooter
2002 WJ 

I just went through the same.Battery worked great,next morning keyless opened the locks but nothing but gauges freaking out.I started to trouble shoot by 1st jumping it,which worked till I shut it off at work and it was completly dead again.Jumped it again and the checked the alternator......tested good.Shut it down and tested the battery and found it was shorted.Solution:got a new RED top optima and starts and works great and not a problem since.

Chris

Every time I look at my Jeep it cost me more money!
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
ZedMan2K
2002 WJ 

Ok, I had the bat checked and it was ok, the Jeep will start after the all the gauges settle down,(pulling all main fuses and relays) and starts first shot, strong and quick. It has started no less then 20 times form the last time it acted up with no prob. The terminals are tight and clean. I'm hoping that it was just a glitch but will throw a new bat in just in case.
Thanks for the help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.