Gauge Cluster Problem 1996 GC v8 limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gauge Cluster Problem 1996 GC v8 limited

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

CCD bus carry's data between all the modules, PCM,BCM,Instrument cluster,VIC,overhead display,door modules,memory seat,radio ect. It's just two wires.
I had a similar problem on one of my 96ZJ's when I first got it....Start and run for awhile then the gauges would die and the warning lights would come on. Turn the key off and start again same thing after awhile.
Another thing that was happening when the Gauges quit the windows would quit working as well and the overhead and Vic would flake. It turned out my factory radio was Fk'd up and was shorting the bus.. It was a head scratcher.
Just trying to eliminate the data bus as a problem. Google "CCD data bus bias".
Since ur PCM caused an overvoltage any of the modules could have sustained damage.....not saying thats ur problem just that there's a lot to look at besides the usual fuses,relays and CB'S
A FSM would be of a great help....
KoreanZJ's Q "When everything quits... do the turn signal indicators and cluster illumination lamps still work?" Is a biggy clue on troubleshooting your problem.

96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Pin 1 on the harness is 5v supply from the PCM. The PCM also supplies the same 5 volts to the other sensors i mentioned. What you are trying to do is eliminate those other sensors as a cause for the problem you are seeing at the crank sensor.

The black connector should be the one closest to the engine, PCM fuse is in the fuse box behind the battery. i dont have time to look up the fuse number right now, so just disconnect the battery cable if you want to check it.

I think you are going down a rathole here. The drivability problem does not coincide with what you say is happening on the meter.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
BurlaT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just sitting in jeep right now. Have read a few things about the CCD Bus and still don't nderstand much, but here is an update. If the key is off pins 3 and11 have 2.3 v on, key on same , running same, running after gauges quit same.

Windows operate in all conditions, but if gauges are off then working windows makes gauges spike or twitch.

If have lighting on, parking or headlights, starts and gauges quit like has been except voltmeter which pegs to high side.
BurlaT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlaT3 View Post
JIf the key is off pins 3 and11 have 2.3 v on, key on same , running same, running after gauges quit same.
On the black PCM connector?
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
BurlaT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Also can't really lell if dash lights are working as it is just to bright out now.

Another note about windows. Gauges act the same no matter which door is controlling windows

Oh, great! Now a new deal, after checking all these different combos of lights windows, turns, volts key off, on, and running, etc. Now all the gauges are working when running but at the point where they all quit before now the voltmeter is the only one changing. It is pegging to right and check gages is pinging and lighting as should when this happens. This is at idle. If revved the gages quit and when idling again go back to norm. But now voltmeter is pegging to right after about 30 seconds running.
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
BurlaT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

No the 3 and 11 pins test is for the ccd bus. That is the 3and 11 in the data link port under the steering wheel.
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Here's the layout
data-link.jpg   data-link1.jpg   data-link2.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
BurlaT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/am...7_201438_2.gif

Dont know if this link will work. Posting from phone right now. This is where i got best test for power on ccd bus.
image-2270793766.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
BurlaT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ZeeJay1997. Your schems seem to reference those same pins in the data link of 3 and 11 one being + and one - where are your schems from? They make more sense than the ones in my haynes book.
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

they are from FSM
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #26
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I'll ask... why would the turn signals play into this?
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #27
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I'll ask... why would the turn signals play into this?
Not, I would like to know that myself. This is definitely a head scratcher.

My money is still on the instrument cluster.
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #28
gnavejr
1998 ZJ 

Location: 13231 theresa Nave Rd., Folsom, La 70437, Louisiana
I have a 98 ZJ with the exact symptoms. I've been chasing solutions to this problem for months! I've tried changing the cluster, BCM, fuses and switches/modules, etc. to no avail. I've checked and rechecked grounds.........but I KNOW that I'm still missing something obviously, BUT now what?!!!
gnavejr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #29
BurlaT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just to catch up this thread and provide answers to anyone that may find it due to similar problems, I now have answers.
A friend with a trucking company and a generous disposition heard about my problems and blessed my family. He said he had the best mechanics and he paid for a very long tow and all parts and labor.
Four hours after looking at it, this mechanic discovered the problem. I had the wrong alternator. The alternators had been going bad every year or so and the original had been bought with a lifetime warrenty, so when i had a problem i pulled it and threw it up on the bench and got a new one. They said my history indicated that I had some other problem and the alternator checked out within normal range so it must be my computer. Three computers later same symptoms. I got it inspected, liscenced and have been driving it 50 miles a day for 2 weeks now.
My VIC may have died because of the long term exposure to this problem or could be completely unrelated. The point is that I didn't back up and fully test every part of the problem. I assumed I didnt need to test the alt because it was new. It was new and it did check good. It just did not match my system so my computer could not regulate it properly and that caused the gage cluster reaction. Hope this helps others. And thank you to all that tried to help, great group.

Tags
cluster , computer , electrical , gauges , pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.