Gauge Brightness? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gauge Brightness?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
asdf123
2001 WJ 

Gauge Brightness?

I'm wondering if it's possible to really brighten up the gauges from the stock dim green color to something like this (The picture below is from a Lexus and i'm just using it as a reference.)

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadte...430_gauges.jpg

asdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

im sure they make white faced guages or you could change all of the old lights in there to leds. i think there is a thread on here somewhere of someone putting leds in
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
asdf123
2001 WJ 

what would be the appropriate size bulb to do this swap? i've been told it's 103 or something, also will this work with white gauge overlays. i'm looking to turn it into a really bright white.
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

If you would like a little science with your diet of info here, there are reasons for gauge color and brightness. White light is cross of the entire light spectrum, that which we can see anyway. Visible light, that is. It's not the best for retaining night vision. The best light for night time is red as it won't ruin your night vision, which is important when driving. Of course, this doesn't look good on a lot of cars, and Jeeps seem to look nice with green. It's more of a blue-green, but anyway, green is the second best color of light to see in order to retain night vision. Blue, or the more intense blues like a lot of people install, is worse. Though it does look pretty cool.

That's the reason, btw, it ruins your night vision when someone comes over the hill with HID's that are very cool frequency light. That being a very blue tint. It's not even good for them as the light it pours over what's ahead of them is so blue that their night vision is impeded. I've never understood this. I think the regular white light headlights can be fine. Not that Jeeps have good ones, but you know what I mean. These blue supernovas people use blind the heck out of me, especially when they're aimed so that they go right into your eyes. That happens when they come over hills whether they want it or not. So it's frustrating.

Anyway, as to my point, are you doing this for looks or for function? Function and practicality would say leave them, but I understand aesthetics and have considered making mine blue LED's before. It's up to you. I don't think the stock green is at all bad though, nor is it difficult to see at night.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
asdf123
2001 WJ 

I would be doing it more for Function, as my previous car (Lexus RX 300) had really bright gauge lights as shown in the 1st post so I guess you can say i'm more used to them. Also some of my bulbs seem to be dying out (really dim near the oil gauge area), that's also another reason why I'd like to swap them for white.
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
asdf123
2001 WJ 

Anyone?

10char
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I personally think the factory lights are adequate.

Just by replacing your old bulbs will make a huge difference. Bulbs get yellower and weaker over time.
Unread 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

green or red leds are your best bet for a brighter gauge that won't ruin your night vision.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
gbauer
1999 WJ 

actually there's probably a filter in the gauge pod that makes it green. You can try taking it apart and seeing if you can just remove the filter but you won't get it to look like the lexus.
gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
XrynoX
2002 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/...gauges-885843/ this might help?
XrynoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
asdf123
2001 WJ 

I'm still wondering how the white faced gauges work. is the whole white part supposed to glow a green color? On my car only the letters light up green, and it's dying out
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf123 View Post
I'm still wondering how the white faced gauges work. is the whole white part supposed to glow a green color? On my car only the letters light up green, and it's dying out
the white face doesn't light up at all, the numbers and hash marks and such just glow green with an orange pointer.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.