Gas tank relocation - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
speedin

Gas tank relocation

First post here. However very long time lurker. In the next few months I will be looking for a 98 5.9. This will be my first jeep, so I am super excited. I have done lots of research the past few months on lifts, steering, 408 strokers , ect.
I am looking to do a light build on the 9er. I would like to keep the lift under 4 inches to preserve on road ride quality.
A few questions and or issues I have. (not trying to start a war here, just looking for some input)
1. Is there any way to relocate the fuel tank? I have been seeing lots of articles about the GC having a horribly exposed gas tank that could lead to ruptures and fire resulting from a rear end collission. I have a wife, and hopefully a baby on the way. We would like to use this vehicle to go on road trips and explore the west. So hearing about this issue with the fuel tank kinda scares me. Is there any way to relocate the fuel tank in front of the rear axle? I don't want to put it in the cargo area like I have seen some people do on here. I am open to all suggestions.
2. My second issue is the uni body. Specifically the roof strength. I know this vehicle is over 14 years old and that safety has come along way since. I just don't get it. I see some many videos of people with bad *** rigs, huge lifts and tires. These people wheel the crap out of their jeeps on trails and rocks that I would never attempt on foot let alone in a jeep. Yet, most of them don't have any rollcages or roof protection. Why? To me that seems very dangerous. One roll and your life is in risk, and you destroy your jeep. The roof strength on these jeeps don't seem very strong. Sorry for the long rant...so the million dollar question is.....what can be done to increase roof strength. I don't want an interior cage, because it takes up valuable space, and passengers can hit there heads on the bars in a wreck. Is the only solution a exo cage. Am I being over protective of myself and my family?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That's a bunch of B.S. Think about how many GC were sold over how may years. There are only a few cases of this ever happening. Probably the same chance of it happening as any other car or truck. And yes, I think you are being paranoid. I have owned two GC's. One I had for ten years and this one going towards 2. Never had any of those problems or fears. This truck was the top selling truck in it's class when it came out. If there were such serious issue like you are describing they wouldn't have been so popular from 93-98. Don't worry about it. Get a gas tank skid plate if it makes you feel better. Upgrade your shocks and springs to better ones and make sure all of the steering parts are in good shape. Look up the vanco brake upgrade to dual piston calipers. Get some Addco thicker sway bars front and rear for even better handling. Those things will notice a marked improvement in handling and stopping power. Don't be so paranoid.
post #3 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
xjbeans

I'm holding out and praying for the recall lol free skid plate yes thank you lol
post #4 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea that would be cool. For some reason my 5.9 didn't come with hooks or skids.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
zander21510
1995 ZJ 

cmon government, gimme some skid plates on my 17 year old vehicle! Weirder things have happened.

And yeah I read all those articles, of 2 million+ GCs...only like 10 ever blew up like that.
post #6 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

OP, you are being over protective. It's WAY harder to roll a jeep than you may think. And the fuel tank fire is a non issue statistically speaking. If you still have concerns about the tank, get a tank skid plate from Rusty's and a tow hitch. That will more than protect the tank!
post #7 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
speedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ View Post
OP, you are being over protective. It's WAY harder to roll a jeep than you may think. And the fuel tank fire is a non issue statistically speaking. If you still have concerns about the tank, get a tank skid plate from Rusty's and a tow hitch. That will more than protect the tank!

I guess I'm being over protective. But can you actually really be over protective when being concerned about vehicle safety? I've seen some horrid crashes, and have lost people...as i'm sure many have. Just want to be as safe as possible.
The thing with the fuel tank that disturbs me is that when you watch the video of the the taurus hitting the jeep...the whole tank gets nailed, compressed and fuel shoots out of the filler neck. Is the tank not equipped with a check valve?
Sounds good about the tank skid plate.....what about if I wanted to get some steel bumpers? I do actually want to wheel the jeep a bit. How could the tow hitch be integrated with an aftermarket bumper?

I also would not mind doing an exo cage, and having the cage paint matched to whatever color jeep I end up with. Are exo cages good for structural intergity? Or are they used soley for minor body protection

Thanks again for the reply's I am really excited about getting my first jeep let alone a 9er.
post #8 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Life is about statistics, whether you are aware of it or not. Statistically your wife wasn't your first intimate partner, statistically you were more likely to have picked up herpes and pass that on to your wife than you ever are to get into that accident where your tank explodes. Not meaning to sound crass, but it's true.

Two teenage girls' car was T-boned in front of my house. One girl died. They were in a Toyota Camry. What can be done? Never buy a Camry? Put an exoskeleton on all cars? Things happen, sometimes they are tragic things, but they happen.

An exoskeleton will stiffen the ZJ a lot, but it causes other issues (think access to the body). Judging by your adversity to risk, Metal bumpers (exoskeleton too) are going to be overkill... Not going to 11, but more like 346. But to answer your question, yes rear bumpers can be integrated with a hitch.

Please Don't take this as me making fun, I'm not. My wife is risk adverse too. Sometimes, you just have to let logic take over the fear.
post #9 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think you should get rid of it and get a Volvo.
post #10 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 02:50 PM
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
That was going to be my next suggestion! ;-)
post #11 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
speedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Find me one for less then 5 grand, with solid axles, and a v8. I'm all in.
post #12 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM
zander21510
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Yeah, safety shouldn't be a priority with a ZJ. Heck, the pre 96s dont even have passenger airbags!
post #13 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
speedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ View Post
Life is about statistics, whether you are aware of it or not. Statistically your wife wasn't your first intimate partner, statistically you were more likely to have picked up herpes and pass that on to your wife than you ever are to get into that accident where your tank explodes. Not meaning to sound crass, but it's true.

Two teenage girls' car was T-boned in front of my house. One girl died. They were in a Toyota Camry. What can be done? Never buy a Camry? Put an exoskeleton on all cars? Things happen, sometimes they are tragic things, but they happen.

An exoskeleton will stiffen the ZJ a lot, but it causes other issues (think access to the body). Judging by your adversity to risk, Metal bumpers (exoskeleton too) are going to be overkill... Not going to 11, but more like 346. But to answer your question, yes rear bumpers can be integrated with a hitch.

Please Don't take this as me making fun, I'm not. My wife is risk adverse too. Sometimes, you just have to let logic take over the fear.
If I was a single guy with no children on the way, I wouldn't be even asking these questions. I just want to make sure my wife and child are safe. Can't see that as being over cautious. Yes I know life is all about statistics, but I believe anything you can do within reason to minimize risks is worth it. I know I sound like a worry wart...funny because I'm not. I have changed as I have gotten older and have lost people close to me, it has made me realize how fragile life truly is.
post #14 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Making sure your wife & child are safe isn't over cautious. Worrying about a one in a million type accident to the point that you are considering relocating the tank and an exoskeleton (unless you are going HARD CORE wheeling) is being over cautious.

I have two boys & a wife. I started where you are, well, maybe not as cautious, but after seeing your toddler face plant a few times & discovering everything is still fine, you'll loosen up a bit!
post #15 of 42 Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

The gas tank investigation is ongoing. The thing is that there are 2 standards the govt looks at:
Did it pass the safety standard in place at the time it was designed/certified answer is Yes

Next they look at the frequency of fires seen in other similar vehicles ..... First the said that fires were not more common in the Jeeps , then they reversed their position and said they were.

You really cannot expect the ZJ series to be built to a modern standard of safety. The were designed in the mid 80s by AMC. If you want a Jeep built to modern safety standards get a WK. I still drive my ZJ and with the rear hitch and skid I don't worry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.