Gas millage... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gas millage...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
duzytata
2001 WJ 

Gas millage...

Whats considered a good mpg reading from a 01 WJ 4.0L and how accurate and reliable is the on board computer above my rear view mirror on reporting my average mpg?

After resetting the avg mpg and driving my WJ for a month my mpg was around 9. After giving it a tune up, replacing the plugs and air filter with a K&N it jumped to about 13mpg.

I drive this back and forth to school everyday, among other places, and gas is getting costly. Where should my Jeep be at and is there any cost effective way to raise my gas millage?

Thanks!

duzytata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i seem to be having the same problem .. driving normally i get about 12.5 mpg but actually trying to drive not hard at allllll is only getting me up to 13.. theres no reason a 4.0L engine with a just 6 cynlinders should be getting this poor of gas mileage. idk what to do bout it either
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
youm0nt
2001 WJ 

for me,it always reads 16 in the city. it has read 19.x on the highway.i have the 4.0L I6
youm0nt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
CallMe"Mcgyver"
1999 WJ 

I was wondering that myself. (I get about 18.7) But i was also wondering, what if i was to upgrade my intake or some of the other ways to improve MPG, would that thow off the gage?
CallMe"Mcgyver" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
01ACRViper

my 95 with the 4.0 gets ~21 mog on the highway and ~18 in teh city, though i'm very light on the pedal
01ACRViper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
dturano547

During the weekend when I drive locally my 2000 4.0 goes down to about 12.5 but first thing on monday when i come home from work it goes back between 14 and 16.

I avg around 16 and have seen 17-19 when I do a lot of highway driving. I thought mine was poor but I guess not.
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
jcool1985

Seems very odd some of you guys are getting such low mileage with the 4.0 I6 I have a 2001 GC V8 and I never get lower than 15-16 in the city and 19+ on the highway. Mine used to be around 13 city until I recently got a throttle body cleaning to get all the unburned carbon and gunk out. Maybe thats the trick? Good luck
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
duzytata
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcool1985
Seems very odd some of you guys are getting such low mileage with the 4.0 I6 I have a 2001 GC V8 and I never get lower than 15-16 in the city and 19+ on the highway. Mine used to be around 13 city until I recently got a throttle body cleaning to get all the unburned carbon and gunk out. Maybe thats the trick? Good luck

Is that something I could do myself? Or does it need to be professionally done?

I have also ran Seafoam through and that seemed to help a little bit. But the highest I've ever reached was 13.1 mpg.

My dad has a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee and he can get about 18mpg and he has a heavy foot and doesn't take much care of his jeep either. It's essentially the same car so I don't know why my WJ doesn't get at least 18mpg if not more since you would think it would be more efficient being a newer model.
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #9
CallMe"Mcgyver"
1999 WJ 

13.1!??!! Holy cow! I just put some sea foam in mine and i'm gonna see how it does. but i'm still wondering how that MGP gage works, and weather or not I mess with the engine, if that will trow off that gage. (because I use it all the time)

Integrity is who you are when no one is looking.

It's a stock WJ, but give me time. ...Maybe some money too?
A sketch of what I'm kinda building towards
CallMe"Mcgyver" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
01ACRViper

i don't have a gauge, i only calculate mine the old fashioned way. maybe the computer is off?
01ACRViper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
duzytata
2001 WJ 

When you put the seafoam in, reset the computer and drive for about a week to get a accurate average for your MPG. The Instant MPG jumps all over the place but the average one will change fastly at first, then the change will start to slow down over time and that is what you use to see if you've had any difference.

@01ARCViper

As far as I can tell its working correctly. My temp and compass is working fine, as is the timer, and the instant MPG changes ever second like it should. I've reset the Average a few times and it always get to about 12.8 to 13.3. So I know its on and working, I just don't know if its accurate or not.

I'm going to fill up and keep track of how many miles I drive and run the tank down to empty. See if calculating it by hand gives me anything different.

There is a feature on the computer that shows you how many miles to empty you have in your tank. On my dads 96, when he fills up, that usually jumps to like 340 miles. On my 01, I've never seen it go above 260mi. Another clear indicator that I'm not getting the MPG I should.
Unread 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
duzytata
2001 WJ 

I had a chat with a car guy at work and suggested that I change out the fuel regulator(?) right around the gas tank. He said if it's going bad that it could be sticking on the 'high' setting, letting more gas though than should be and causing my bad millage. Anyone do this before? I think I can handle it as long as I don't have to drop or drain the tank. Otherwise I can't afford to take it in to be professionally done. Being on a college student budget sucks.
Unread 11-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I'd change an O2 sensor before the regulator. The regulator is something that shouldn't cause your problems as the injectors send fuel in rates given to them by the PCM in relation to your throttle position.

O2 sensor changes have made a HUGE difference in my vehicle, so I now change them every two years or so.
Unread 11-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

alright yeah.. the 02 sensors i figured would definately help. and ill prolly do the throttle bottle cleaning. 2 other thigns tho not really relate to gas mileage.. well sorta. does anyones 4.0 sound sorta like a diesel when its on? mine sorta makes that like ticking noise but tis not comming fromthe engine. ive heard its something a lot of people get with their 4.0s but its like a crack in teh exhaust manifold right before it connects to the rest of the exhaust
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #15
jcool1985

I did not do my throttle body cleaning myself so I don't know about the complexity of it. I took it to my mechanic to do it. I can't remember how much I paid but I will look it up later and post back. Do not get it done at the dealer they are wayyyyy overpriced for the throttle body cleaning. You should check around for prices and get it done so you can get much better mileage. It will save you alot in the long run. Good luck.
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.