Gas Milage low? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gas Milage low?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2003, 06:15 PM   #1
jastern05

Gas Milage low?

For some reason unknown to me (that is why I am posting) my gas milage is horrible. On the tank I am on now I have gone 123 miles and there is only 1/4 of a tank left. These tanks hold 23 gallons. You can do the math, but that puts me at about 7 mi/gal which is god awful. Granted all I drive is on local roads, no freeways really, but it is only a I6 and I figure I should get at least 10 or 12. What could be the problem? Anyone have any ideas.

Unread 11-24-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
iroc22

I get 10 mpg city driving with my 5.2 V8 in 2wd.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2003, 07:00 AM   #3
Stocker

Sounds bad, but need more info - what's your driving style? If you have a lead foot and tend to accelerate hard, or if you let it idle for long periods, that will affect mileage a lot. Also if you do a lot of towing - if you live in mountains - well, you get the idea.

Also, the gauge may not be terribly accurate. Keep track at each fill-up and see what your calculated mileage is. And since the tank may not be getting filled to the exact level each time, your most accurate numbers will be attained by calculating any three consecutive fill-ups.

Having said all that, you may have an exhaust restriction, maybe from a cat or muffler collapsing internally. Or simply a dirty air filter. How long since the last tune-up? Might be time for cap & rotor, plugs & wires.

Edit - What gears are you running? Also, larger tires & lower air pressures will have an adverse effect on fuel mileage - as will lift kits -

Last edited by Stocker; 11-25-2003 at 08:33 AM..
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
imnotu

yeah that gauge isnt the best measurement, even when mine says i am bone dry, i will usually still have 3 gallons in there.

i get 15 in city and 20 on highway on my 95 I6, give or take....

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL=Http://zbt.case.edu/myjeep.jpg][COLOR=White][B]White 1995 ZJ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] I6 w/ Selec-Trac, Plush Leather Seats (powered in front), JVC MP3 deck [B](STOLEN)[/B], [URL="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8HSG1sJ380J/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=113KDCX889"]New Kenwood KDC-X889 Deck[/URL] (Insurance messed up and gave me this instead), [url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nZpmrQWOhBc/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=130TSA1680&search=Pioneer+TSA1680R]Pioneer TS-A1680R Speakers[/url], Remote Start, Optima Red Top, 180 Thermostat, Kolak Performance 2.5" exhaust components: (Car Sound high flow converter, Magnaflow large case muffler, mandrel bent tailpipe), 16x8 Rubicon Rims with 245/70 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo Tires, Rancho SS, Mopar Skids all around, Tow hooks front and back, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks and Clear Corners. [B]149/B], and still going stro... OK My transfer case can a small leak... damnit!.

[URL=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=imnotu001@hotmail.com&item_name=Donations%20for%20a%20Poor%20Kid]Donations are Appreciated[/URL]
[/FONT]
imnotu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
jastern05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
Sounds bad, but need more info - what's your driving style? If you have a lead foot and tend to accelerate hard, or if you let it idle for long periods, that will affect mileage a lot. Also if you do a lot of towing - if you live in mountains - well, you get the idea.

Also, the gauge may not be terribly accurate. Keep track at each fill-up and see what your calculated mileage is. And since the tank may not be getting filled to the exact level each time, your most accurate numbers will be attained by calculating any three consecutive fill-ups.

Having said all that, you may have an exhaust restriction, maybe from a cat or muffler collapsing internally. Or simply a dirty air filter. How long since the last tune-up? Might be time for cap & rotor, plugs & wires.

Edit - What gears are you running? Also, larger tires & lower air pressures will have an adverse effect on fuel mileage - as will lift kits -
Yea, I drive in a town to get to school and then home. Then on the weekends around town too. I do tend to accelarate fast, but that would make me get 7 miles to the gallon. Normal tires, no lift, i have 30psi air tire pressure. Is that too low? What do u mean what gears? My mechanic said the engine was running rich. Meaning too much gas was being used. He cleaned something on the engine that might be causing it, i don't know the name though. The exhaust tip had black sud on it from running rich and there was always the smell of excess gas. That seems to have gone away, i guess ill check out the gas milage on the next tank.
Unread 11-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
Stocker

Hopefully the mechanic fixed whatever was causing it to run rich - if you smelled gas and the tailpipe was sooty, that's probably the culprit. You should get better than 7 out of an I6 no matter what. By gears I'm referring to the axle ratio, but it would make more difference out on the highway than around town. 30 psi may be a few pounds low, although I doubt that would noticably affect your mileage.
Unread 11-26-2003, 06:50 AM   #7
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

Running rich will kill your cat. converter. I second the exhaust restriction. My cat had to be replaced at just over 110k. Our jeep was not able to get to 70 mph before the end of an on ramp near our house and I knew the I6 was capable of doing it. replace the stock Cat if you still have it.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2003, 08:49 AM   #8
97grand

I agree with Stocker - maybe a tune up - plugs, wires, cap and rotor are in order. However, If it's running rich, the O2 sensors may also be the culprit, moreso than the cat. When the ZJ is cold, bang on the cat with the palm of your hand. If your hear alot of rattling from inside, like a can full of pocket change, then your cat is toast. Your O2's should be changes every 60k miles as regular maintenance.

[COLOR=darkgreen]'91 Taurus SHO+ - Deep Jewel Green [/COLOR]

[COLOR=red] '05 Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red[/COLOR]

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer[/I]

Last edited by 97grand; 11-26-2003 at 08:52 AM..
97grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.